Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stabitha Stabitha is offline

Default Page numbers on left hand side?

Sorry to add this question if it has been discussed before - I just wondered
if it were possible to have the page numbers in a TOC positioned on the
left-hand-side and the text on the right?
Any help gratefully received!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You will probably get this if you install a right-to-left language.
Otherwise, I suspect that you are out of luck.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stabitha" wrote in message
Sorry to add this question if it has been discussed before - I just

wondered
if it were possible to have the page numbers in a TOC positioned on

the
left-hand-side and the text on the right?
Any help gratefully received!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can do this (with a bit of fiddling) by inserting a one row, two column
table where you want the Table of Contents to appear and insert the table of
contents into one of the cells and then copy it into the other and then
format the one in the left cell so that the paragraphs have a negative
indent and format the tabs so that they are all at the one right position,
then adjust the column widths so that you only see what you want.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Stabitha" wrote in message
Sorry to add this question if it has been discussed before - I just

wondered
if it were possible to have the page numbers in a TOC positioned on

the
left-hand-side and the text on the right?
Any help gratefully received!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Clever! In order to get it to work, one has to turn off the
"Automatically update" option (which is enabled by default
for the TOC styles), though. Otherwise, you cannot keep
different settings for the two TOCs.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

You can do this (with a bit of fiddling) by inserting a one row, two

column
table where you want the Table of Contents to appear and insert the

table of
contents into one of the cells and then copy it into the other and

then
format the one in the left cell so that the paragraphs have a

negative
indent and format the tabs so that they are all at the one right

position,
then adjust the column widths so that you only see what you want.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of

my

"Stabitha" wrote in message
Sorry to add this question if it has been discussed before - I

just
wondered
if it were possible to have the page numbers in a TOC

positioned on
the
left-hand-side and the text on the right?
Any help gratefully received!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You could probably still do this is you were including no more than four
levels in the TOC. Map the heading styles to TOC 1-4 in one TOC and TOC 5-8
in the other, with suitable adjustments to the formatting of the
corresponding TOC styles.

"Stabitha" wrote in message
Sorry to add this question if it has been discussed before - I

just
wondered
if it were possible to have the page numbers in a TOC

positioned on
the
left-hand-side and the text on the right?
Any help gratefully received!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Indeed, that would do the trick for me. I never use more than three heading
levels. In fact, I prefer having no more than *two*, if at all possible. But,
then again, I never need to put the page numbers on the left. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stabitha" wrote in message
Sorry to add this question if it has been discussed before - I

just
wondered
if it were possible to have the page numbers in a TOC

positioned on
the
left-hand-side and the text on the right?
Any help gratefully received!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't think I've ever had a TOC with more than three levels, either (most
have just one), but given the amount of trouble you can get into with a
single level, I'd sure hate to try to make two (almost) identical ones in
order to meet this very bizarre requirement!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You could probably still do this is you were including no more than four
levels in the TOC. Map the heading styles to TOC 1-4 in one TOC and TOC

5-8
in the other, with suitable adjustments to the formatting of the
corresponding TOC styles.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.