Word 2007 - Page Number options grayed out

Old January 15th 07, 05:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Damncold

Default Word 2007 - Page Number options grayed out

I am trying to insert a Page Number in a Word 2007 Footer.
Regardless of which option I choose (Top of Page, Bottom of Page, etc.) all
the options are grayed out. Ideas?

And can someone at MS tell me why they made a once simple process so arcane?
Old January 16th 07, 04:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton

It could be an issue with Building Blocks.dotx, the location of the gallery
entries you see.

You can find it at:
C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\Microsoft\Document
Building Blocks\1033

Exit Word, locate Building Blocks.dot either move it out of the folder or
delete it. Renaming this file will not work as Word will load it the first
time you access a gallery. Then start Word and see if Page
Number gallery is available.

Also note Building Blocks.dotx located in the Office installation path
(under Program Files) should not be deleted. This is the master copy that is
used to create your personal copy found in your profile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

Old December 21st 10, 03:26 PM
mrclymer mrclymer is offline

Originally Posted by Beth Melton View Post

"Damncold" wrote in message
I am trying to insert a Page Number in a Word 2007 Footer.
Regardless of which option I choose (Top of Page, Bottom of Page, etc.)
all
the options are grayed out. Ideas?

And can someone at MS tell me why they made a once simple process so
arcane?
Thank you for the info. This thread is really helpful.

I have this issue with any new user profiles on my machines. i can delete the building blocks.docx and the function works file, what do i need to do so that all my windows profiles have a working and correct building blocks.docx file so that i don't have to delete it every time there is an issue? Does that make sense?

Mike C.
Old February 22nd 12, 09:06 PM
artabove artabove is offline

Hi, I too suddenly cannot insert page numbers as options are now grayed out in Word 2007. This question was asked before but the answers were way over my head. Below is the previous answer, then I'll add my questions on how to DO the answer you gave. Please give step-by-step instructions.

YOUR ANSWER:
"Exit Word and then rename the Building Blocks.dotx file in your *user profile* (there is also a copy in the Program Files folder which you shouldn't mess with). You can search for the file in Windows; be sure to search hidden files and folders.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP"

MY QUESTIONS TO CLARIFY YOUR ANSWER:
1. Where IS the "User Profile" - I cannot find it.
2. Windows cannot find Building Blocks.dotX. Also cannot find C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\Microsoft\Document Building Blocks\1033, which was given in another response to same problem. Please tell me exactly how to get TO Building Blocks.dotx since the above don't work.
3. I don't know HOW to search "hidden" files. Please explain.
4. Re BUILDING BLOCKS.DOTX, another person's answer said, "Renaming this file will not work as Word will load it the first time you access a gallery." So do I move it? (If yes, where to?) Delete it? OR stick with renaming it?
---
Thank you,
Chava LeBarton

---