Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Turk-E Turk-E is offline

Default Multiple windows in various sizes and locations - without always r

I hope someone can help me out. I just bought a big widescreen monitor to
have lots of space to work with. I have an excel window and a work window
opened and stacked on top of each other on the right on the screen. Now
everytime I open another word document, it opens to the same size as the
first window I have open. I would like to have it open to the remaining
screen space I have left, and in the correct location. Is there a way I can
do this? I hope I made myself clear enough.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Turk-E Turk-E is offline

Default Multiple windows in various sizes and locations - without alwa

Hi Johm - Thanks for the response. I tried what you suggested and that is
handy to know about, but it doesn't really do what I would like it to do.
Your suggestion basically splits the windows I have open evenly either
verticall or horizontally.

What I would like to be able to do is have one word doc open in the bottom
left corner of my screen, say 5" x 5". On top of that I have an excel doc
open in the same size. To the left in the remainer of my screen say 12" x
12" I would like to have another word doc open. As I work on the large
document, I update the excel doc and the other word doc. Once I close the
larger sized word doc I would like to be able to open another and have it
open in the same size and place as the large one I just closed. If I can't
do this, then I have to keep resizing the document to fit the space everytime
I open a new document. The task that I'm working on required me to open
around 50 new word docs in that larger remaining space on my desktop. It
takes a lot of extra time and bother to resize every one. What I was hoping
to find is a setting in Word 2003 (The professional or Office version) that
would open new documents in a window the same size and location as the one I
last worked on, and not the same size as the small window in the lower right.

If it's possible, I'm guessing that the answer should be found in the
Microsoft office software, and not in the OS.

"John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macinto" wrote:

Yes. Right-click the SysTray at the right end of the Task Bar and choose
"Tile Windows Vertically" or "Tile Windows Horizontally". See if that will
do what you want.

If it won't, things become a little complicated -- get back to us :-)

On 16/1/07 4:17 AM, in article
, "Turk-E"
wrote:

I hope someone can help me out. I just bought a big widescreen monitor to
have lots of space to work with. I have an excel window and a work window
opened and stacked on top of each other on the right on the screen. Now
everytime I open another word document, it opens to the same size as the
first window I have open. I would like to have it open to the remaining
screen space I have left, and in the correct location. Is there a way I can
do this? I hope I made myself clear enough.

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Sorry, the function you really want is not available.

What I sent you to is as good as it gets without doing some complicated
programming. You can make an application to do this (obviosuly) but it has
to be a real Windows application that can find all the other windows you
have open, measure them, then work out how much screen space you have left.

Easy if you're a Windows programmer, but I couldn't do it.

Sorry...

On 20/1/07 7:33 AM, in article
, "Turk-E"