Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Laura4363 Laura4363 is offline

Default vertical alignment in a text box

Is there really no simple way to vertically align text in a text box in Word?
I've seen one answer that said you have to create a 1 cell table instead but
surely there must be a simple way of doing it? In fact I'm sure I did it
once before, ages ago, but I really can't find a way of doing it now!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You can put a border-less table cell inside the text box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Laura4363" wrote in message
Is there really no simple way to vertically align text in a text box

in Word?
I've seen one answer that said you have to create a 1 cell table

instead but
surely there must be a simple way of doing it? In fact I'm sure I

did it
once before, ages ago, but I really can't find a way of doing it

now!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol Carol is offline

In a previous post, Jay Freedman said:

Instead of a text box, insert a one-cell table. You can drag it to the
size you want and the location you want. Right-click the cell, choose
Cell Alignment, and click the thumbnail for the alignment you want.

--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"Laura4363" wrote:

Is there really no simple way to vertically align text in a text box in Word?
I've seen one answer that said you have to create a 1 cell table instead but
surely there must be a simple way of doing it? In fact I'm sure I did it
once before, ages ago, but I really can't find a way of doing it now!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Publisher does allow you to specify the vertical alignment in text boxes. If
you have ever used Publisher, that's probably what you were thinking about.
Aside from that, you can add Space Before to the first paragraph in the
text box, just "eyeballing" the text and centering it visually, but if you
want an automatic method, you're pretty much reduced to the one-cell table
solution that you have rejected (and that a couple of other respondents have
advocated).

As Jay has indicated, you can actually use a table cell *instead of* a text
box, and this is actually superior because text in a text box is invisible
to Word in many ways, and text in a table is more accessible.