Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rachel M Rachel M is offline

Default Hidden text overriding format of next line - Word 2003

I've created a Word 2003 template that incorporates a style that's formatted
as
hidden text. The problem is that, when the hidden text is toggled off and my
users try to type something on the following line (which I assigned an
outline numbered style that's not hidden), the hidden text toggles on and the
cursor is positioned at the beginning of the hidden text, not on the line
that the user started typing on.

If the hidden text is already on, there is no problem. The line that the
user starts typing on applies the appropriate style.

Does anyone know how I can get the style to apply properly if the hidden
text is hidden?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

No. I can't think of a way to do this "reliably". I suggest that you do
not fill work documents with Hidden text: it inevitably gets revealed and
emailed or printed when that is least convenient :-)

What are you using the hidden text for? Maybe we can suggest a better
mechanism?

On 18/1/07 6:13 AM, in article
, "Rachel M"
wrote:

I've created a Word 2003 template that incorporates a style that's formatted
as
hidden text. The problem is that, when the hidden text is toggled off and my
users try to type something on the following line (which I assigned an
outline numbered style that's not hidden), the hidden text toggles on and the
cursor is positioned at the beginning of the hidden text, not on the line
that the user started typing on.

If the hidden text is already on, there is no problem. The line that the
user starts typing on applies the appropriate style.

Does anyone know how I can get the style to apply properly if the hidden
text is hidden?

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Also see the response(s) to your almost identical question in
microsoft.public.word.pagelayout. In the future, please don't
*multi-post*.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Rachel M" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rachel M Rachel M is offline

Sorry for the confusion. This was my first time using the discussion groups
and I wasn't sure which topic the question belonged to. I discovered the
Advanced Options after I posted the first question and didn't see a way to
delete.

"Rachel M" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rachel M Rachel M is offline

The hidden text is instructions text on what types of things to consider and
include in a specific section of the document.

We wanted a way to see the instructions when the document is being created,
but hide them when the doc gets distributed and printed. It doesn't really
matter if someone reveals the text if they feel the need, but the group of
people the documents will ulitmately be distributed to most likely won't do
that.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You could use a style which puts a frame in the margin for the
comment. See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MarginalText.htm. Make
sure that there is no frame border and that text is formatted as
hidden (and that hidden text doesn't print but displays).

Alternatively, have you considered using comments? Resting the mouse
on a comment in the text should display a ScreenTip with its contents
(assuming that ScreenTips is checked in Tools | Options, View tab).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote:

[...]

Please reply to the newsgroup to maintain the thread. Please do

not email
me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst,

Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rachel M Rachel M is offline

If I use the frames, when I hide the text, there is still a placeholder where
the frame is, so there's a gap between the two paragraphs. In addtion, if
there are bullets, they still show (just the bullet, not the related text).
I tried setting up a bulleted style the has a hidden font that's based on the
main style in the frame and that didn't help.

Using comments isn't practical; some of the instructions have lists of
things in them, so they can be lengthy. In addition, we don't want Screen
Tips intended for the author to pop up as the reviewers/approvers move
through the document. At least with the hidden text, they would have to make
an effort to toggle the hidden text on.

I'm thinking that I'll use text characters instead of bullets and then the
frame placeholder will only be one line. The only problem there is that it
will look like the line formatting is inconsistent, since not every header
item has instructions. In addition, the frame placeholders will increase the
length of the document by at least a page.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You missed the suggestion of putting the frame *in the margin.* It will be
anchored to one of the existing paragraphs, not to a separate one that would
take up extra space.