How can I copy text from Excel into Word without the 'grid'?

Old January 21st 07, 03:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
C C

Default How can I copy text from Excel into Word without the 'grid'?

How can I copy text from an Excel file into a Word document without also
copying the grids or borders?
Old January 21st 07, 07:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Herb Tyson [MVP]

In general, you should get whatever borders are applied in Excel. If no
borders have been applied, then you'll get an unbordered table structure in
Word if you accept the default paste behavior. The gridlines you see in Word
[usually] aren't borders, just guidelines that help you identify it as a
table. Choose Table - Hide Gridlines to turn them off. In any event, they
won't print since they're not really border formatting.

If you don't want a table at all, in Word, choose Edit - Paste Special -
Unformatted text to paste just the data/text, without any of the cell/table
structure.

If you want the table structure, but borders have been applied in Excel,
then paste as normal, but then click the selection handle for the table
(outside the upper left corner), then drop down the borders tool in the
Formatting toolbar, and choose the No borders icon.
--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com

Old January 27th 07, 12:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi! I am also have a similar problem.

Copying cells from Excel 2007 and paste special into Word 2007. The
linked Excel sheet shows the excel grid. If I turn off the grid in
Excel, so does it disappear in Word. And the reverse is true. I need
to keep my grid on in the source Excel file, and off in the linked Word
file. The Table dropdown does not offer to run the grid off in the
linked Excel. Rather, it add a grid over the entire page.

Your help would be really great.

Thanks. Joe

On Jan 21, 11:10 am, "Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:
[...]

Please respond in the newsgroups so everyone can follow along."C C" wrote in ...

How can I copy text from anExcelfile into aWorddocument without also
copying the grids or borders?- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Old January 27th 07, 04:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz

Sorry - You're asking for the impossible You may as well be saying you
want the color to be red in Excel and green in Word, or that you want to
have different values appear in Word than what is actually in the
spreadsheet.

When you *link* to an object (file) that file is what displays in the host
document. How it displays - content, formatting, etc. - is determined by the
source file itself as of the last time the link was updated.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/26/07 7:56 PM, in article
, "

Old January 27th 07, 07:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Oh well. Thanks for the information.

Old January 28th 07, 06:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Not necessarily? It depends on the format of the link. Edit paste special
unformatted text with the link selected will paste as unformatted text ie
without the grid, but will maintain a link to the source data in Excel.

And you can have it red in Excel and green in Word, if you want, by
formatting the 'unformatted' inserted text.

If you want different values in Word then break the link.

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

,
" wrote:

[...]

also copying the grids or borders?- Hide quoted text -- Show
quoted text -