Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chris F Chris F is offline

Default how can i find how many dpi a figure is?

I have a research paper and in order to be able to submit it to a journal,
the figures and the pictures that i used in the paper have to be at least
1000dpi. how can i find how many dpi my figures and pictures are?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: how can i find how many dpi a figure is?

Sure, I can help you with that!

To find out the DPI (dots per inch) of your figures and pictures, you can follow these steps:
  1. Right-click on the image you want to check and select "Properties" from the drop-down menu.
  2. In the Properties window, click on the "Details" tab.
  3. Scroll down until you see the "Image" section.
  4. Look for the "Horizontal resolution" and "Vertical resolution" values. These values represent the DPI of the image.

If the DPI values are not listed in the Properties window, you can use an image editing software like Adobe Photoshop or GIMP to check the DPI. Here's how:
  1. Open the image in the image editing software.
  2. Click on the "Image" menu and select "Image Size" or "Canvas Size".
  3. In the Image Size or Canvas Size window, look for the "Resolution" field. This field represents the DPI of the image.

If the DPI of your figures and pictures are lower than 1000dpi, you can try to increase the DPI using the image editing software. However, keep in mind that increasing the DPI may also increase the file size of the image.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Chris,

For any images you've inserted into your document, go back to the source and find its dimensions in pixels. Then divide that by the
dimensions in inches of the image as pasted & scaled in Word.

BTW, 1000dpi is a ridiculously high resolution - there's very few people who could pick the difference between that and 600dpi for
B/W line art or 300dpi for a typical photo. And if the printer only outputs at, say, 600dpi, anything more just adds to the file's
bulk without being printed. Vector graphics print at whatever resolution the printer is capable of.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Chris F" Chris wrote in message ...
| I have a research paper and in order to be able to submit it to a journal,
| the figures and the pictures that i used in the paper have to be at least
| 1000dpi. how can i find how many dpi my figures and pictures are?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Poprivet Poprivet is offline

macropod wrote:
[...]

Not an unusual requirement for fine printing processes. Printers set their
own requirements and they are often high. 1000dpi isn't that high a res as
printer requirements go.

Pop`

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Chris F wrote:
I have a research paper and in order to be able to submit it to a
journal, the figures and the pictures that i used in the paper have
to be at least 1000dpi. how can i find how many dpi my figures and
pictures are?

AFAIK you can't, from Word, at least. You would hvae to look at the graphic
in an editing application and check the resolution there. In digital camera
lingo, a 2 megapixel or higher camera will create graphics of that caliber;
a 1 megapixel would not.

Caveats:
-- You might want to check on this with the powers that be, but ... to
prevent the image from suffering resolution changes, you should LINK to the
images from Word as opposed to embedding the pictures into Word. Else Word
can change the res on you. The printer will have requirements for which
he'll accept. At any rate, be certain to NOT let Word optimize the images
if you embed them.

-- Irfanview is a freebie image editor that will let you see the
resolution.

-- Do not confuse ppi (pixels per inch) with dpi. Pixels and dots are two
entirely different concepts, one for the screen, the other for the printers.
DPI is consistant from printer to printer but PPI, which a printer doesn't
use, is completely variable on-screen and has no set size unless it's
interpolated for a particular printer.

HTH
Pop`

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

macropod wrote:
Hi Chris,

For any images you've inserted into your document, go back to the
source and find its dimensions in pixels. Then divide that by the
dimensions in inches of the image as pasted & scaled in Word.

That figure will vary with the particular printer installed for any
particular computer. It's the printer drivers that determine what dpi max
can be printed, and Word uses those specs internally for its displays.

BTW, 1000dpi is a ridiculously high resolution - there's very few
people who could pick the difference between that and 600dpi for B/W
line art or 300dpi for a typical photo. And if the printer only
outputs at, say, 600dpi, anything more just adds to the file's bulk
without being printed. Vector graphics print at whatever resolution
the printer is capable of.

That's partly true, but ... printers often have such requirements and as
printers go, that's not a high resolution. 3 Megapixels or about 2000 x
1500 pixels is common for images and then you have to convert that to dpi
for the printer being used.

Cheers

"Chris F" Chris wrote in message
I have a research paper and in order to be able to submit it to a
journal, the figures and the pictures that i used in the paper have
to be at least 1000dpi. how can i find how many dpi my figures and
pictures are?

How to find text in Word in reverse direction: edit find previous David Manpearl Microsoft Word Help 1 January 26th 07 07:28 PM
Linking to a Field SV Page Layout 4 January 3rd 07 08:25 PM
Use DocVariable field to initiative numbering? Tom Mailmerge 25 December 12th 06 02:15 PM
Word 2007 Figure Caption gets error "Figure Error! Style not defin Andrei Csibi Page Layout 0 June 18th 06 07:13 AM
Find and Replace anomaly BruceM Microsoft Word Help 7 January 18th 05 06:47 PM