how can i find how many dpi a figure is?

Old February 11th 07, 08:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chris F

Default how can i find how many dpi a figure is?

I have a research paper and in order to be able to submit it to a journal,
the figures and the pictures that i used in the paper have to be at least
1000dpi. how can i find how many dpi my figures and pictures are?
Old February 11th 07, 09:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod

Hi Chris,

For any images you've inserted into your document, go back to the source and find its dimensions in pixels. Then divide that by the
dimensions in inches of the image as pasted & scaled in Word.

BTW, 1000dpi is a ridiculously high resolution - there's very few people who could pick the difference between that and 600dpi for
B/W line art or 300dpi for a typical photo. And if the printer only outputs at, say, 600dpi, anything more just adds to the file's
bulk without being printed. Vector graphics print at whatever resolution the printer is capable of.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

Old February 12th 07, 02:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Poprivet

macropod wrote:
[...]

Not an unusual requirement for fine printing processes. Printers set their
own requirements and they are often high. 1000dpi isn't that high a res as
printer requirements go.

Pop`

Old February 12th 07, 02:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Poprivet

Chris F wrote:
I have a research paper and in order to be able to submit it to a
journal, the figures and the pictures that i used in the paper have
to be at least 1000dpi. how can i find how many dpi my figures and
pictures are?

AFAIK you can't, from Word, at least. You would hvae to look at the graphic
in an editing application and check the resolution there. In digital camera
lingo, a 2 megapixel or higher camera will create graphics of that caliber;
a 1 megapixel would not.

Caveats:
-- You might want to check on this with the powers that be, but ... to
prevent the image from suffering resolution changes, you should LINK to the
images from Word as opposed to embedding the pictures into Word. Else Word
can change the res on you. The printer will have requirements for which
he'll accept. At any rate, be certain to NOT let Word optimize the images
if you embed them.

-- Irfanview is a freebie image editor that will let you see the
resolution.

-- Do not confuse ppi (pixels per inch) with dpi. Pixels and dots are two
entirely different concepts, one for the screen, the other for the printers.
DPI is consistant from printer to printer but PPI, which a printer doesn't
use, is completely variable on-screen and has no set size unless it's
interpolated for a particular printer.

HTH
Pop`

Old February 12th 07, 02:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Poprivet

macropod wrote:
Hi Chris,

For any images you've inserted into your document, go back to the
source and find its dimensions in pixels. Then divide that by the
dimensions in inches of the image as pasted & scaled in Word.

That figure will vary with the particular printer installed for any
particular computer. It's the printer drivers that determine what dpi max
can be printed, and Word uses those specs internally for its displays.

BTW, 1000dpi is a ridiculously high resolution - there's very few
people who could pick the difference between that and 600dpi for B/W
line art or 300dpi for a typical photo. And if the printer only
outputs at, say, 600dpi, anything more just adds to the file's bulk
without being printed. Vector graphics print at whatever resolution
the printer is capable of.

That's partly true, but ... printers often have such requirements and as
printers go, that's not a high resolution. 3 Megapixels or about 2000 x
1500 pixels is common for images and then you have to convert that to dpi
for the printer being used.

Cheers

"Chris F" Chris wrote in message
I have a research paper and in order to be able to submit it to a
journal, the figures and the pictures that i used in the paper have
to be at least 1000dpi. how can i find how many dpi my figures and
pictures are?

How to find text in Word in reverse direction: edit find previous David Manpearl Microsoft Word Help 1 January 26th 07 06:28 PM
Linking to a Field SV Page Layout 4 January 3rd 07 07:25 PM
Use DocVariable field to initiative numbering? Tom Mailmerge 25 December 12th 06 01:15 PM
Word 2007 Figure Caption gets error "Figure Error! Style not defin Andrei Csibi Page Layout 0 June 18th 06 07:13 AM
Find and Replace anomaly BruceM Microsoft Word Help 7 January 18th 05 05:47 PM