Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
dannie dannie is offline

Default merge using excel

Hi, I hope you can help me. I am trying to merge using Excel as a database.
No matter which "conversion" choice I use, it still says it cannot open the
excel document.

Thanks,
--
dannie
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Which version of Word and Excel?

What version of Excel was the Workbook created in? Is it password-protected?

Does your data consist of a worksheet with column headers or what?

If you export the data you want to use to .csv format, then re-import it
into a new workbook, can you connect to that?

Peter Jamieson
"dannie" wrote in message
Hi, I hope you can help me. I am trying to merge using Excel as a
database.
No matter which "conversion" choice I use, it still says it cannot open
the
excel document.

Thanks,
--
dannie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
dannie dannie is offline

Thank you. The .csv part worked - on MS Office Teacher-Student edition,
which both the excel & Word documents were created in. It did not work on my
2000 office.

NOW I am making a directory & it wants to put each person's data on one page
each. (I found several references to working with labels, but they did not
work.) I finally found the fields to insert, so inserted Next Record, but
that didn't work. Do I need to add the fields again?

Thanks so much!!!
ds
--
dannie

"dannie" wrote in message
Hi, I hope you can help me. I am trying to merge using Excel as a
database.
No matter which "conversion" choice I use, it still says it cannot open
the
excel document.

Thanks,
--
dannie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

It did not work on my
2000 office.

Are you stil ltrying to solve this problem? Is your Teach-Student edition
Office XP (2002) or 2003? Using an Excel XP/2003 data source with Word 2000
may well cause problems.

NOW I am making a directory & it wants to put each person's data on one
page
each. (I found several references to working with labels, but they did
not
work.) I finally found the fields to insert, so inserted Next Record, but
that didn't work. Do I need to add the fields again?

Typically, for a directory, you need to specify that the merge type is
Catalog (Word 2000) or Directory (Word XP/2003). In Word 2000 you can do
that in the first step in the Mail merge helper. In Word XP/2003 it is
usually easiest to enable the Mail merge toolbar (Word Tools|Customize) then
select the merge type using the first button in the toolbar.

When you create a catalog (or directory) type merge, you should lay out the
fields how you want and /not/ use any Next Record fields. You would
typically have a blank paragraph at the end of your mail merge main
document. When Word merges, it should produce a new document that does not
have ppage breaks of any kind between the records.

If you really need to use a label type merge, then you do have to copy the
fields you have placed - each label in your layout needs its own copy of
those fields. There should be one Next record field before each "label"
except the first one.

Peter Jamieson

"dannie" wrote in message
Hi, I hope you can help me. I am trying to merge using Excel as a
database.
No matter which "conversion" choice I use, it still says it cannot open
the
excel document.

Thanks,
--
dannie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
dannie dannie is offline

Thank you so much!. Yes, I will work on it again today! But this should
take care of it I hope.

Thankyou!
--
dannie