Can't print labels

Old March 28th 07, 01:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Janet

Default Can't print labels

Just bought a new computer with Vista and Word 2007. I'm unable to print
address labels using the mail merge. I can create the labels, but when I
select "print" from the "finish & merge" section or using the mail merge
wizard, a window pops up briefly saying it's printing, but in reality nothing
happens; if I open the status window for the printer, nothing's in there. If
I save the document and then try to print it, it goes to the printer; when I
open the printer status window, it tells me it's printing, but nothing
happens and after about 10 minutes, "printing" changes to "error." When I try
to delete the file, it says "deleting," but it never goes away until I unplug
the printer. I've had the same results on two different printers, and I've
downloaded Vista drivers for each. I also tried saving the labels in Word
97-2003 format instead of Word 2007, with no better result. I'm able to print
other documents, including labels that I created on my old computer but
nothing new. Any suggestions?
Old March 28th 07, 01:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Janet

Thanks for responding, Doug.
That's what I thought too, and I tried that - without success. I created the
labels, selected all the type, then pasted it into a new blank document. When
I select "print" for that document, I get a message saying that some of
margins are outside the printable area. So I go to the margins window and
click on "fix," which changes the margins (and I don't know if the type now
will fit on the label, but I figured I'd at least give it a shot). And then I
try to print again. The document shows up in the printer status window but
never spits out of the printer.

I've also tried creating labels using a different data source, one I've used
before (for my Christmas cards) in case there was something in the data
source that was screwing it up. No luck....

I can't figure out what the problem is. I have a specialized database
program (UKC Trial Secretary, for dog shows), and I'm able to generate and
print mailing labels from that database. So I'm thinking it's something
screwy in Word 2007.

HELP! I have a mailing I need to get out and I'm not looking forward to
handwriting all those addresses....

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

What happens if you execute the merge to a new document? If you do that, it
will be no different from any of the other documents that you are able to
print.

Old March 29th 07, 04:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Janet

SUCCESS!!
For anyone else who has this problem, here's what I discovered: Apparently
the labels were set to feed the paper manually into the printer. To change
this, I went to the print preview, click on the little diagonal arrow next to
"page setup", clicked on the "paper" tab, then selected "default tray" under
the paper source for the first and all other pages.

I'm having some trouble learning to navigate all the toolbars and menus in
Word 2007! But eventually I stumble across something useful.

Janet