How do I make a "null sign?"

Old March 28th 07, 02:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed G

Default How do I make a "null sign?"

I am trying to make a "null sign" in Word and cannot figure out how to do it?
I am familiar with inserting symbols but cannot seem to find that particular
symbol.
Old March 28th 07, 02:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed G[_2_]

It is a zero with a vertical slash running through it. It is not the capital
O with a slash through it. I found that one. I believe that is a Swedish
character. I am looking for the zero which is a more narrow O.

Thanks!

"Simon Jones [MSDL]" wrote:

What does a "null" sign look like?

Simon Jones

Old March 28th 07, 02:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Simon Jones [MSDL]

Words Equation Editor can insert the "Empty Set" symbol but that is a slashed
captial O rather than a slashed zero.

You can also use the Equation Field to overtype a zero with a slash.
{EQ \o(0,/)}
The curly braces are entered by typing Ctrl+F9.
Word puts spaces inside the braces. Delete them unless you want your slashed
zero to be followed by a space.
Press Alt+F9 to switch from showing the field codes to showing the result.

Simon Jones

"Simon Jones [MSDL]" wrote:

That is just a zero. Whether there is a slash through it or not depends on
how the character is rendered in the particular font you use. A font for
programmers such as Consolas uses a slashed zero. Most other fonts use
ordinary ones.

Consolas & Sydnie are the only fonts with slashed zeros on my PC.

Simon Jones

Old March 28th 07, 11:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

By definition a "null sign" does not exist.

There is a symbol which looks like ...

... which is U+2400 (press and hold Alt while you type 9216 - or in recent
versions of Word type 2400 and press Alt+X)

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Simon Jones [MSDL]" schreef in
bericht ...

Old March 28th 07, 01:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Hi Tony,

The NUL character is from a completely different field,
telecommunications (along with characters such as ACK and BEL).

While a "null symbol" may not literally exist, there is a symbol for
the mathematical concept of a "null set" or "empty set". It's in the
Arial Unicode MS font as character 2205. And, contrary to Ed G's
statement earlier, it is not a zero with a vertical slash, it's a
circle with a diagonal slash.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Old March 28th 07, 03:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

Hi Jay,

I didn't think of the empty set symbol which is easily got with the Equation
editor (in 2007 anyway).

I seem to have some sort of problem with the group as I don't see Ed G's
reply with that statement ... but ... if I search for messages from Ed G it
comes up so now I'm sure you've found the symbol he's after. I don't have
time to investigate right now.

--
Enjoy,
Tony