Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
simmarko simmarko is offline

Default inserting more than one letter for alphabetic group in index headi

I have to build an index from these parts codes: GAA-1111333, GBB-1119039,
GEL-127559.

How to build such an index with the first three letters showing in the index
heading for alphabetic group using field code \h "A" . Below are the field
codes that I need to modify:

INDEX \e " "\h "A" \c "2" \g "4105"

If these are not the right ones please specify others

Thanks in advance
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I don't believe this is possible. I think you'll need to take a different
approach, perhaps using GAA, GBB, etc., as your main index entries and the
various parts codes as subentries.

"simmarko" wrote in message
I have to build an index from these parts codes: GAA-1111333,

GBB-1119039,
GEL-127559.

How to build such an index with the first three letters showing in the

heading for alphabetic group using field code \h "A" . Below are the

field
codes that I need to modify:

INDEX \e " "\h "A" \c "2" \g "4105"

If these are not the right ones please specify others

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
simmarko simmarko is offline

Thanks for your reply Suzanne.

This is what I would like to get in my index (so far I have to do it over
manually after each update:

GBO

GBO-12C112G8 4
GBO-12C114G8 6

GEC

GEC-112C5 8
GEC-12C5Z 6

but this is what I get when I use the following field codes:
INDEX \e " "\h "A" \c "2" \g "4105"

GBO-12C112G8 4
GBO-12C114G8 6
GEC-112C5 8
GEC-12C5Z 6

Is there any workaround other than using the main entry and subentry approach.

I mean if one can just simply modify these codes (INDEX \e " "\h "A" \c "2"
\g "4105") so that the index heading extract the first three letters for each
group (i.e. GBO, GEC)

Thanks in advance

"simmarko" wrote:

I have to build an index from these parts codes: GAA-1111333, GBB-1119039,
GEL-127559.

How to build such an index with the first three letters showing in the index
heading for alphabetic group using field code \h "A" . Below are the field
codes that I need to modify:

INDEX \e " "\h "A" \c "2" \g "4105"

If these are not the right ones please specify others

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

As I said, I don't see any way to do it other than with main entries and
subentries. Note that you could format the Index 1 style to look the same as
the alphabetical divider headings and Index 2 to be the same as the default
Index 1, which should give pretty much the desired result.

"simmarko" wrote:

I have to build an index from these parts codes: GAA-1111333,

GBB-1119039,
GEL-127559.

How to build such an index with the first three letters showing in the

heading for alphabetic group using field code \h "A" . Below are the

field
codes that I need to modify:

INDEX \e " "\h "A" \c "2" \g "4105"

If these are not the right ones please specify others

Thanks in advance

Group items in same account on same letter. Simon Mailmerge 2 January 11th 07 06:15 PM
Inserting references without a capital letter WAYNEL Formatting Long Documents 4 September 27th 06 08:22 AM
inserting a index noname Page Layout 1 December 2nd 05 01:10 PM
inserting accent mark above a letter rododle Microsoft Word Help 1 November 8th 05 12:55 AM
Index entries do not group P.Bradac Microsoft Word Help 2 May 15th 05 10:22 PM