A Microsoft Word forum. Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter forum » Microsoft Word Newsgroups » Microsoft Word Help
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Quotation marks



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 7th 05, 02:51 PM
JulieMae
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Quotation marks

When I type quotation marks using microsoft word, they come out curly and the
right quotation mark is upside down. I want regular straight quotation marks.
How do I get them? I want them to look like this " " but they don't. They
come out different as I said above. What can I do to rectify this? Thanks,
JulieMae
Ads
  #2  
Old February 7th 05, 04:27 PM
AA2e72E
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Tools + Autocorrect and then on the AutoFormat as you type, clear the
'Straight quotes with smart quotes' option.

"JulieMae" wrote:

When I type quotation marks using microsoft word, they come out curly and the
right quotation mark is upside down. I want regular straight quotation marks.
How do I get them? I want them to look like this " " but they don't. They
come out different as I said above. What can I do to rectify this? Thanks,
JulieMae

  #3  
Old February 7th 05, 04:36 PM
Suzanne S. Barnhill
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

If you *always* want straight quotation marks (because you're using Courier
New or because you're creating code), clear the "'Straight quotes' with
'smart quotes'" check box on the AutoFormat As You Type tab of Tools |
AutoCorrect (AutoCorrect Options in Word 2002/2003). If you just want them
occasionally, press Ctrl+Z (Undo) to reverse the correction and revert the
curly quotes to straight quotes.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"JulieMae" wrote in message
...
When I type quotation marks using microsoft word, they come out curly and

the
right quotation mark is upside down. I want regular straight quotation

marks.
How do I get them? I want them to look like this " " but they don't.

They
come out different as I said above. What can I do to rectify this?

Thanks,
JulieMae


  #4  
Old February 7th 05, 04:43 PM
JulieMae
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Thank you. It worked! JulieMae

"AA2e72E" wrote:

Tools + Autocorrect and then on the AutoFormat as you type, clear the
'Straight quotes with smart quotes' option.

"JulieMae" wrote:

When I type quotation marks using microsoft word, they come out curly and the
right quotation mark is upside down. I want regular straight quotation marks.
How do I get them? I want them to look like this " " but they don't. They
come out different as I said above. What can I do to rectify this? Thanks,
JulieMae

  #5  
Old October 12th 05, 01:50 PM
Mary jane
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

It is amazing how many posts relate to this reversed curly quote issue.
Straight quotes are an answer yes, but why can't you use curly quotes and
have them come out correctly? No one seems to be able to solve this riddle,
maybe an issue to send to Microsoft for programming?

"JulieMae" wrote:

When I type quotation marks using microsoft word, they come out curly and the
right quotation mark is upside down. I want regular straight quotation marks.
How do I get them? I want them to look like this " " but they don't. They
come out different as I said above. What can I do to rectify this? Thanks,
JulieMae

  #6  
Old October 12th 05, 03:27 PM
Suzanne S. Barnhill
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"Upside-down" is a subjective description. Quotation marks vary depending on
font, but ordinarily the closing quote character will be a 180-degree
rotation of the opening quote character (rotated, not flipped horizontally).

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Mary jane" wrote in message
...
It is amazing how many posts relate to this reversed curly quote issue.
Straight quotes are an answer yes, but why can't you use curly quotes and
have them come out correctly? No one seems to be able to solve this

riddle,
maybe an issue to send to Microsoft for programming?

"JulieMae" wrote:

When I type quotation marks using microsoft word, they come out curly

and the
right quotation mark is upside down. I want regular straight quotation

marks.
How do I get them? I want them to look like this " " but they don't.

They
come out different as I said above. What can I do to rectify this?

Thanks,
JulieMae


  #7  
Old November 21st 08, 05:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MJ
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 17
Default Quotation marks



"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you *always* want straight quotation marks (because you're using Courier
New or because you're creating code), clear the "'Straight quotes' with
'smart quotes'" check box on the AutoFormat As You Type tab of Tools |
AutoCorrect (AutoCorrect Options in Word 2002/2003). If you just want them
occasionally, press Ctrl+Z (Undo) to reverse the correction and revert the
curly quotes to straight quotes.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so
all may benefit.

o I get them? I want them to look like this " " but they don't.
They
come out different as I said above. What can I do to rectify this?

Thanks,
JulieMae


It so happens I am creating a document in Courier font that contains VBA code so I want straight quotes. I put an AutoOpen module in the document to turn off the curly quotes AutoFormat and an AutoClose module to turn it back on. What has me really puzzled is that the AutoCorrect dialog box shows the curly quote feature is turned off but I'm still getting curly quotes when I type. There must be something else going on here that I can't find.

  #8  
Old November 21st 08, 06:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Suzanne S. Barnhill
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 33,626
Default Quotation marks

Could it be that your macro changes the settings in AutoFormat and not
AutoFormat As You Type?

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA

"MJ" wrote in message
...


"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you *always* want straight quotation marks (because you're using
Courier
New or because you're creating code), clear the "'Straight quotes' with
'smart quotes'" check box on the AutoFormat As You Type tab of Tools |
AutoCorrect (AutoCorrect Options in Word 2002/2003). If you just want
them
occasionally, press Ctrl+Z (Undo) to reverse the correction and revert
the
curly quotes to straight quotes.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

o I get them? I want them to look like this " " but they don't.
They
come out different as I said above. What can I do to rectify this?

Thanks,
JulieMae


It so happens I am creating a document in Courier font that contains VBA
code so I want straight quotes. I put an AutoOpen module in the document
to turn off the curly quotes AutoFormat and an AutoClose module to turn
it back on. What has me really puzzled is that the AutoCorrect dialog box
shows the curly quote feature is turned off but I'm still getting curly
quotes when I type. There must be something else going on here that I
can't find.




  #9  
Old December 10th 08, 05:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Frustrated College Student Abroad
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Quotation marks

I was having this problem just now and have chosen to use the straight
quotation marks but thought I'd copy paste an example of the issue I'm having
clarify. I made sure there are no unclosed quotations elsewhere in the text
so I have no clue why it is looking like this... see below.


I am writing a sentence and now „I want to quote something“ but obviously
these quotes don’t look correct!


"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

"Upside-down" is a subjective description. Quotation marks vary depending on
font, but ordinarily the closing quote character will be a 180-degree
rotation of the opening quote character (rotated, not flipped horizontally).

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Mary jane" wrote in message
...
It is amazing how many posts relate to this reversed curly quote issue.
Straight quotes are an answer yes, but why can't you use curly quotes and
have them come out correctly? No one seems to be able to solve this

riddle,
maybe an issue to send to Microsoft for programming?

"JulieMae" wrote:

When I type quotation marks using microsoft word, they come out curly

and the
right quotation mark is upside down. I want regular straight quotation

marks.
How do I get them? I want them to look like this " " but they don't.

They
come out different as I said above. What can I do to rectify this?

Thanks,
JulieMae



  #10  
Old December 10th 08, 08:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Suzanne S. Barnhill
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 33,626
Default Quotation marks

Okay, these are a different matter and are caused by having the wrong
language (perhaps German) applied to the text.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

"Frustrated College Student Abroad" Frustrated College Student
wrote in message
...
I was having this problem just now and have chosen to use the straight
quotation marks but thought I'd copy paste an example of the issue I'm
having
clarify. I made sure there are no unclosed quotations elsewhere in the
text
so I have no clue why it is looking like this... see below.


I am writing a sentence and now "I want to quote something" but obviously
these quotes don't look correct!


"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

"Upside-down" is a subjective description. Quotation marks vary depending
on
font, but ordinarily the closing quote character will be a 180-degree
rotation of the opening quote character (rotated, not flipped
horizontally).

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Mary jane" wrote in message
...
It is amazing how many posts relate to this reversed curly quote issue.
Straight quotes are an answer yes, but why can't you use curly quotes
and
have them come out correctly? No one seems to be able to solve this

riddle,
maybe an issue to send to Microsoft for programming?

"JulieMae" wrote:

When I type quotation marks using microsoft word, they come out curly

and the
right quotation mark is upside down. I want regular straight
quotation

marks.
How do I get them? I want them to look like this " " but they
don't.

They
come out different as I said above. What can I do to rectify this?

Thanks,
JulieMae






 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In Word quotation marks do not print immediately. Why? Tom V New Users 7 June 19th 05 04:59 PM
How to include quotation marks in If/Then Statement? Dan Palow Microsoft Word Help 1 January 25th 05 04:19 PM
emphasis marks - dot Peter Microsoft Word Help 5 January 20th 05 06:06 AM
open and close quotation marks meta4 Microsoft Word Help 2 January 1st 05 01:23 PM
Adding quotation marks Ziaforever Microsoft Word Help 1 December 1st 04 10:13 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2014 Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.