Page X of Y - NumPages/Section pages

Old April 23rd 07, 04:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jade5

Default Page X of Y - NumPages/Section pages

Hello:

How do I replace the NumPages field with a
SectionPages field in a Word document footer so that the pages in a section
are calculated currectly. For example, my document currently has 9 pages - 1
page in section 1 and 8 pages in section 2. However, the footer for the first
page in section 2 is Page 1 of 9 and the last page is Page 8 of 9. I want the
footer of the first page to be Page 1 of 8 and the footer of the last page
should be Page 8 of 8.

Thanks,

Jade.
Old April 23rd 07, 04:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Daiya Mitchell

View | Header/Footer. Hit Alt-F9 to toggle field codes. Where it says
NUMPAGES, change that to SectionPages (be sure not to delete any field
braces {}). Alt-F9 to return field codes to showing field results.

Old April 23rd 07, 04:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jade5

Hello:

I just figured it out. I read another posting that Jay Freedamn responded to
and saw that you have to hit Alt + F9 and then change the NumPages to Section
Pages - i.e Page { PAGE } of {
SECTIONPAGES \* MERGEFORMAT }
Thanks,
Jade.

Old April 23rd 07, 04:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bear[_2_]

Jade:

Here's an example from the Word Help for the term "sectionpages."

"To print text such as "Page 4 of 29" on each page of a document you've
divided into sections, insert the following fields and text in the header or
footer:

Page { PAGE } of { SECTIONPAGES }"

If you open your footer and toggle the page number to view the field codes
(right-click on the page number and click Toggle Field Codes) you'll see that
the page number is created with fields. You just have to change the NUMPAGES
field to a SECTIONPAGES field.

You can type the text within the curly brackets to change the field name.
(For future reference, you can not, however, just type curly brackets to
insert a field. You have to press Ctrl+F9 or use the Insert Field command.)

Bear
--
Windows XP, Word 2000

Old April 23rd 07, 04:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jade5

Thanks Bear.
I noticed that you did not mention the \*Mergeformat. Do you know what it
does.
Thanks,
Jade.

Old April 23rd 07, 10:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bear[_2_]

Jade:

The fields in your document can be updated manually (by pressing F9) or
automatically (e.g. when you have Tools Options Print Update Fields
checked).

MERGEFORMAT prevents the fields from picking up the formatting of the source
when they are updated. For example, it prevents a cross-reference to a
heading from looking big and bold.

Bear
Old June 18th 08, 06:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PPatty

I have formatted my footer as you describe (Page x of y) - for me it works
fine, including the correct section pages - but I emailed the doc to someone
to print, and for them the page numbers appear correct in print preview, but
print out as "page 1 of 1," page 2 of 2, etc. (when there are 32 pages)

Any idea what might be the problem here?

Old June 18th 08, 06:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

http://word.mvps.org/fAQs/AppErrors/PageXofY.htm

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP