File Disappeared

Old May 14th 07, 10:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hasan

Default File Disappeared

Hi,

I had a file on my desktop named as Expenses.docx - When I left office on
saturday evening, the file was there but today when I came to office and
started my PC, that file wasn't there. I tried the system restore, it showed
the previous data but that particular file wasn't there. I have tried another
recovery software which shows a shortcut to that file but the original file
isn't availabe. How has it disappeared?

I checked the recent history on Word, I clicked on open file but it said
c:...desktop...Expenses.docx not found

How can I recover that file?

Please Help!
Old May 14th 07, 10:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

Have you tried searching for the file in Windows, in case it was just moved
to a different location?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Old May 14th 07, 10:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hasan

I have tried that a lot of times but it is just not there. When I restore my
system to 12th of May 2007 and when I open Office Word, in the left vertical
panel, it shows the same file but when I click, it says, Not Found

Old May 14th 07, 11:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

Note that, if you are on a network, you may not be allowed to save to
the desktop; the file may have been deleted during login.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Old May 14th 07, 11:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hasan

I am not on a network. I am on a stand alone PC which requires a password to
logon.. Nobody connects to this computer

Old May 14th 07, 02:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

If it is a multi-user PC, there should be a desktop folder for each user
under C:\Documents and Settings. You will not be able to access that folder
unless you log in as that user or you have sufficient access rights. If this
is not the case then the file is presumably lost. The desktop is not the
best place to save files. Use your documents folder or a sub folder from it
to save your work.

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Old May 14th 07, 03:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hasan

I have been doing this for years and nothing happened and especially for a
..docx file. I would have greed if it was a .exe file or something but this
seems to be a bug so the thing is I lost my data and that can't be recovered?

Old May 15th 07, 03:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
techpro

On May 14, 10:19 am, Hasan wrote:

How can Irecoverthat file?

Here's a good article on data recovery in Windows:
http://www.tech-pro.net/how-to-data-recovery.html .