Start Enforcing Protection Grayed Out

Old June 11th 07, 05:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Proposal Manager

Default Start Enforcing Protection Grayed Out

I want to protect my document in Word 2003, so I open ToolsProtect Document
and select 1. Formatting restrections and 2. Editing restrictions.

The third step, Start Enforcement, has a tab that is grayed out, so I cannot
select it and protect the document.

What must I do to activate the Start Enforcement tab?

Old June 11th 07, 08:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M.

Hi =?Utf-8?B?UHJvcG9zYWwgTWFuYWdlcg==?=,

I want to protect my document in Word 2003, so I open ToolsProtect Document
and select 1. Formatting restrections and 2. Editing restrictions.

The third step, Start Enforcement, has a tab that is grayed out, so I cannot
select it and protect the document.

What must I do to activate the Start Enforcement tab?

1. The document isn't a mail merge document, is it?

2. If not, display the Forms toolbar. Can you use the padlock on that toolbar
to start protection? I've noticed in some forms documents that this will work
and, after I've used it once, the buttons in the task pane will also work.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Old June 11th 07, 09:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Proposal Manager[_2_]

I saw in another post that the trick is to take the document out of "Design
Mode," which appears on the web tools toolbar. This does work. Thanks for
the suggestion anyway.

Old August 24th 07, 10:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AyeshaERA

I'm having the same problem and i'm not in 'design mode'. i've checked
several times. any other suggestions? thanks muchly.

Old August 24th 07, 06:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton

The likely cause is your document is set to a merge document. Display the
Mail Merge toolbar and under Document Type make sure "Normal Word Document"
is selected.

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out: