how can I copy color fill with Text in WORD Tables?

Old June 20th 07, 12:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
RosalieP

Default how can I copy color fill with Text in WORD Tables?

I've created a WORD table that I want to use as a template.

And am trying to copy a cell with its background color / fill to a new cell.
But only the text copies over, not the color fill.

Am I missing something? Is it possible to copy the color fill with the text
to a new cell?
Old June 20th 07, 03:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jay Freedman

RosalieP wrote:
I've created a WORD table that I want to use as a template.

And am trying to copy a cell with its background color / fill to a
new cell. But only the text copies over, not the color fill.

Am I missing something? Is it possible to copy the color fill with
the text to a new cell?

There is no tool for "copying" the color of cell shading. There are two
methods: manual and macro.

For the manual method, select the cell that has the desired background. Open
the Format Background & Shading dialog and click the Shading tab. A box in
the upper-center area of the dialog will tell you the RGB color currently
applied to the cell. Write it down. :-( Close the dialog, select the other
cell (or table), reopen the dialog, and apply the same RGB color in the More
Colors sub-dialog. Caution: pay special attention to the setting of the
"Apply to" box in the Shading dialog, because Word tends to guess wrong.

Having set the color of the second cell, you can repeatedly select another
cell and press F4 to repeat the color assignment, as long as you don't do
anything else in between.

The macro method depends on exactly what you want to do. Here's a very
simple macro that just copies the color from the top left cell of the
current table to the entire table. It can be modified extensively to let you
choose which table(s) to color, where the source cell is, and what
destination cell(s) to use. See http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm
if needed.

Sub TableBackColor()
' set the background color of
' an entire table the same as
' that of the first cell

If Not Selection.Information(wdWithInTable) Then
MsgBox "Put the cursor in a table"
Exit Sub
End If

Dim backColor As Long
Dim foreColor As Long

With Selection.Tables(1)
backColor = .Cell(1, 1).Shading.BackgroundPatternColor
foreColor = .Cell(1, 1).Shading.ForegroundPatternColor
.Shading.BackgroundPatternColor = backColor
.Shading.ForegroundPatternColor = foreColor
End With
End Sub

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Old June 20th 07, 04:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
RosalieP

Hi Jay,

Not sure if posted my first attempt at replying.

Thanks, I'll try the F4. I also discovered last night that if I opened the
Borders & Shading Menu, I could fill the cell faster than going thru all the
manual commands.

Thanks again for your reply.
Rosalie

Old December 24th 13, 11:15 AM
Derek Smith Derek Smith is offline

Originally Posted by RosalieP View Post
I've created a WORD table that I want to use as a template.

And am trying to copy a cell with its background color / fill to a new cell.
But only the text copies over, not the color fill.

Am I missing something? Is it possible to copy the color fill with the text
to a new cell?

YES!

a. Select the cell you wish to copy the colour from.

b. Go to the paint pot and change the colour of the cell you want to copy, you can change it to any colour.

c. At the very top of the window is the curved blue arrow which undoes the last thing you did. Click on this to revert to the cell back to the colour you want to copy.

d. This colour is now in short term memory. Go to the paint pot again, click on the arrow beside it and select 'more colours'. The colour you want to copy is now showing as current. Select 'OK' to add it to the short term paint chart.

d. You can now use the chart to copy your colour to other cells.

Last edited by Derek Smith : December 24th 13 at 11:19 AM.

Shading Text (fill color) shadow Microsoft Word Help 3 December 23rd 06 01:06 PM
Can I format text for both outline (in black) and fill for color? Kelly Microsoft Word Help 1 April 17th 06 06:23 PM
Fill color in tables kado Tables 2 January 23rd 06 09:27 AM
Color fill doesn't let you select a color. Colors greyed out. Diane Microsoft Word Help 4 November 28th 05 07:19 AM
How Format Painter could copy the font color of a color text? Miksmith69 Microsoft Word Help 1 August 27th 05 06:43 PM