Numbering in comment

Old July 10th 07, 06:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kristin

Default Numbering in comment

For some reason, in the document I am editing with Track Changes, an
automatic numbering turns on whenever I add a comment. I can delete it and
enter the comment just fine, but that is annoying. I've not had this problem
with hundreds of other documents.
Thanks for any suggestions to eliminate this.
Old July 10th 07, 07:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg

Is the numbering in the comment itself? In that case, the problem could be
that the style "Comment text" (automatically applied to comments) has been
defined as a numbered style. You could check the style definition.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

Old July 10th 07, 07:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kristin

Yes, it is in the comment. How do I check (and turn off!) the style
definition for all of the comments without having to do it individually?
thanks.

Old July 10th 07, 07:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg

The comments still need to use the "Comment Text" style so you need to modify
the style in case it has been defined with numbering. See this article for
details about how to modify a style:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...ifyAStyle.html

In Step 2 in the article where it says: "In the Modify Style dialog, click
Format. Choose one of the characteristics of the style to modify: Font,
Paragraph etc.", select "Numbering" to open the Bullets and Numbering dialog
box. If the numbering is not set to "None" it indicates that the number in
the comment comes from the style. Click "None" - then click OK in each dialog
box.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

Old July 10th 07, 07:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kristin

That fixed it, though I still don't know how that got turned on in the first
place!
Thanks for your help!

Old July 11th 07, 08:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

One possible cause is explained he
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...eformatted.htm.

--