Rich Text Content Control - how to lock down editing

Old August 1st 07, 09:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jonblauch

Default Rich Text Content Control - how to lock down editing

I am using a Rich Text Content control in a word document. I go into the
properties of the content control and I am able to “lock it down” so it
cannot be deleted or edited. When I send it to someone else, they also
cannot delete it or edit it. So far so good. However, the person who I send
it to can just go into the properties of the content control and disable the
“lock-down” and then edit away. Seems odd – not much real protection.

Also, I do not want to protect the whole doc – I actually want them to be
able to modify most of the document – just certain sections need to remain
intact ( i.e., legal language). Also, I do not want to use infopath.

Any thoughts?

Old August 1st 07, 11:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton

You need to enable document protection to prevent users from making changes,
such as modifying the properties of a content control.

Now what you can do in the Restrict Formatting and Editing task pane is set
No Changes (Read only) in the Editing Restrictions (This isn't as aggressive
as protecting a document for Forms). Mark those areas that users can modify
as Exceptions. Then you can protect the document with a password.

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word