What laptops on the market now come with Word, Excel, PPnt?

Old August 5th 07, 09:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Susan

Default What laptops on the market now come with Word, Excel, PPnt?

My daughter is in the market for a laptop for college. Everything is VERY
confusing. We mainly want one with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint on it.

Does anyone know a decently-priced laptop that has these? The other stuff is
fine, but I'm not worried about her being able to watch a movie. She needs to
type papers and make presentations.
Old August 5th 07, 10:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules

You need to buy Office. It doesn't come free on a computer - you pay for it.
You may also want to contact the school to find out if you can purchase an
academic license for it from the bookstore. That's generally a les expensive
option.

--

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft MVP - Publisher

How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

Old August 5th 07, 11:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz

Although some computer manufacturers & some retailers often "bundle" MS
Office with certain models it isn't a *standard feature* on any. JoAnn's
suggestion makes the most sense - don't worry about a "bundle" or let
software inclusion/exclusion influence your buying decision, just buy MS
Office Student/Teacher separately.

Good Luck |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 8/5/07 4:32 PM, in article
, "Susan"

Old August 6th 07, 03:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton

Purchase the laptop, refuse the installation of Office on the computer, if
they offer it, and purchase the Office 2003 Student and Teacher editor or
the Office 2007 Student and Home edition for about $150 if all you need is
Word, Excel, and PPT. The Office 2007 Student and Home edition also comes
with OneNote - great for note taking.

Both Office editions can be installed on up to three computers, provided
they meet the requirements. Software you buy preinstalled (called OEM
versions) are typically licensed only to the computer it was installed on
and is non transferrable. That means you can never install it one another
computer - even if the one you purchase is damaged beyond repair.

Plus you need to rely on the OEM for support. Lose a CD key - good luck
getting a replacement. Lose or damage the installation CD (if you actually
get them - regardless of what they might promise) good luck getting a
replacement. OEMs are *really* bad about replacing both of these. They blame
it on Microsoft, Microsoft blames it on them and you're still out of luck.

With a retail version Microsoft will replace CD keys and installation CDs.
And since you purchased the installation CDs you're guaranteed to get them.
There are many situations in which you need the installations CDs, for some
updates, switching computers, etc. Most OEMs do not include the installation
CDs. They might provide an image on the computer but that's not the same
thing. They say Microsoft doesn't provide the installation CDs and Microsoft
says they do. It's far easier if you cut out the middle man. ;-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

Old August 6th 07, 11:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan Freeman

You've had some excellent suggestions, but DEFINITELY check with the college
to make sure the laptop is going to be usable.

I know of one college that does not support Windows Vista, and won't allow
any computer running it to attach to the campus network.

Dan