Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
olwenh olwenh is offline

Default Toolbar keeps re-appearing?

Hi,

I have created a form and protected it. Before protecting it, I removed the
Control Toolbox from view. I save it and it looks fine, but every time I
re-open the Control toolbox comes back with a little 'design tool' floating
around the document.

How do I get rid of it?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Tools fro the control toolbox are intended for user forms rather than
protected forms. Don't mix the two.

olwenh wrote:
Hi,

I have created a form and protected it. Before protecting it, I
removed the Control Toolbox from view. I save it and it looks fine,
but every time I re-open the Control toolbox comes back with a little
'design tool' floating around the document.

How do I get rid of it?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

The Design tool is appearing because you used ActiveX controls for your form
(those from the Control Toolbox). Typically these controls are used in
conjunction with VBA.

Both ActiveX and VBA fall under Macro Security. If either are present in the
document then Macro Security kicks in when you open the document. Since you
are seeing the Design tool then it sounds like you have your Macro Security
set to High and Word is disabling the ActiveX controls by placing the
document in the Design state, which is why you see the toolbar pop up even
though you turned it off a gazillion times.

If you are sharing the document with others then they will also encounter
this issue so instead of using controls from the Control tool box, use form
fields from the Forms toolbar for your form.

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word