"Find" does not work--sometimes

Old August 9th 07, 07:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jauchart

Default "Find" does not work--sometimes

Sometimes when I try to do a "find" in my Word document (CTRL-F), I get back
"Word has finished searching the document. The search item was not found."
This is true even for words I know are there, that I am looking at on the
screen. When this happens, it does so for whichever Word document I open.
But then the next day, it works fine, then another day not at all.
What's going on?
I'm running MSWord 2002 on WXP 2005 Media edition.
Thanks
Old August 9th 07, 11:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Make sure it wasn't searching just selected text or from the current
location to the end (though in both cases, Word will usually ask if you want
to search the rest of the document). If it has really searched the entire
document, make sure that you don't have any specific style or other
formatting applied to the "Find what" text and that you don't have any of
the boxes such as "Match case" checked.

Old August 10th 07, 01:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Herb Tyson [MVP]

If it's truly working one day, but not the next, and you've done nothing to
the document, then I would suspect that your computer memory is going bad.

On the other hand... you might check to see whether the document contains
tracked changes. If it does, then hidden tracked changes can prevent you
from seeing what's actually in the document. Perhaps those words you "know
are there" have extra bits between the letters, preventing find from
actually finding.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

Old January 3rd 11, 07:16 PM
concerned concerned is offline

We discovered that when, on the find/replace window, and under the More section, if the No Formatting button is NOT grayed out, it is very likely that MS Word will NOT find the word(s) you are looking for!

Click on the Special button and de-select the formatting there...the No Formatting button is then grayed out and will find the word(s) you seek.

Thanks!
concerned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Tyson [MVP] View Post

Old January 4th 11, 05:53 AM
PETER.PHIL PETER.PHIL is offline

Well I agree with you, but much of the American population is brainwashed into supporting their cause....therefore our people are in BIG trouble. God bless you, I wish you luck when the sh*t hits the fan!