Is there a keyboard shortcut for turning on italics?

Old August 28th 07, 11:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DainBramage007

Default Is there a keyboard shortcut for turning on italics?

I am needing to turn italics on and off multiple times while keying in large
amounts of text. I need Word keyboard shortcuts so that I need not position
my mouse over the Italics icon many times.
Old August 28th 07, 11:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aeneas

CTRL+i to start and stop italics

Old August 28th 07, 11:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules

Ctrl+I

--

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft MVP - Publisher

How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

Old August 29th 07, 03:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DainBramage007

Suzanne,
Thank you for YOUR succinct, yet thorough answer. The other responses
answered my question, but YOU gave examples of other commonly needed
shortcuts, as well as a pointer to how to get more information (& the tip of
a needed iceberg of related subjects).

Although I needed italic keyboard shortcuts, you went one step further and
sensed it was not the ONLY thing I needed shortcuts for, and your answer,
although brief, gave me the PERFECT response. Even if I only wanted the
italics question answered, your answer was short enough not to bog the answer
down.

Thanks again. You've made a good impression on someone who's surrounded by
Micro$oft bashers. This is my first Discussion Group post and now I've got a
positive boost in a negative environment! Way to go! The tech world needs a
LOT more problem-solvers/educators with your mindset.
Jay (a long-time Indiana techie with sparse Word experience)

Old August 29th 07, 12:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

Also note that you can look in the Customize Keyboard dialog box for a
complete list of shortcuts associated with each Word command.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Ctrl+I toggles italics on and off. Ctrl+B for bold, Ctrl+U for underline,
etc. For others, see the "Keyboard shortcuts" Help topic.

so
all may benefit.

"DainBramage007" wrote in
message

Old August 29th 07, 02:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Glad I could help. I often have occasion to refer to the "Keyboard
shortcuts" Help topic; as Stefan points out, if you know the command you
need a shortcut for, you can find it through Tools | Customize | Keyboard,
but the Help topic can make you aware of shortcuts for commands you didn't
know existed!

Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Ctrl+I toggles italics on and off. Ctrl+B for bold, Ctrl+U for

underline,
etc. For others, see the "Keyboard shortcuts" Help topic.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"DainBramage007" wrote in

message

Old September 1st 07, 08:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Don Ellis[_2_]

Hi Suzanne,

One modification I've made is to turn Bold into Ctrl-O, so I can hold
the Control key and use U, I, O as I like for all three of the common
emphasis changes.

Don

Old September 1st 07, 08:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

While you can setup whatever configuration you like, I don't see that this
gets you very far. CTRL+B (bold) is a lot more logical than CTRL+O which is
pre-defined for File Open?

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Old September 1st 07, 09:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Don Ellis[_2_]

It gets you pretty far for ergonomics -- especially when you want to
bold and italicize the same line, or bold and underline it, or all
three.

Ctrl+U, I and O are right there under three fingers on adjacent keys.

Easier for me to define some other key combination to open a file.

Don