How do I get rid of extra spaces?

Old August 29th 07, 03:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Toody

Default How do I get rid of extra spaces?

Hi Everyone!

I've completed mail merge labels, and noticed that there is an extra space
at the beginning of the last line, which contains the phone numbers. How do I
get rid of it without having to go through each label and deleting the space?

The extra space occurs when the line that is supposed to contain the phone
numbers is void a phone number. For instance, I have set the
fields/information to appear this way:

Name
Address
City, State Zip
W: _____ H: _______ C: ________ (Work, Home, Cell, respectively)

If the person's record does not contain a work number, a blank space, which
I assume is the space between the last number of the work phone number and
the initial "H" will appear, then the other available phone numbers.

I have to place a blank space between the fields, or the numbers will run
together when I perform a merge.

Any help will be appreciated. I have Word 2003.
Old August 29th 07, 04:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Rich/rerat

Toody,
Have you consider using a table for the phone# line of your label?
Create a table with 6 columns & 1 line. Or two columns for every type of
phone# you want to show.

So if you want the three types in your example:
1. In the Odd columns, type in "W: ", "H: ", "C:", etc... (without the
quotes).
2. In the Even Columns, insert mergefields for the phone# data from your
data source file.
3. Then add a borderline to the bottom of the column box just under the
Phone# mergefield.

--
Have A Good Day
Rich/rerat

(RRR News) message rule
Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate

Old August 29th 07, 08:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

I don't know what fields you have at the moment but if you just want
whatever numbers are non-blank, one after the other, you could try

{ MERGEFIELD Workphone \b "W: " \f " " }{ MERGEFIELD Homephone \b "H: " \f "
" }{ MERGEFIELD Cellphone \b "W: " \f " " }

Use e.g. ctrl-F9 to insert the special field code braces {} as necessary,
and substitute your own field names.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk