Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RPMitchal RPMitchal is offline

Default Applying Templates

Word 2003

Ladies and Gents:

I have a paragraph number sequence that is set up as:
1
1.1
(a)

However, the author of the document has requested that in several of the
paragraphs, the second level numbering be setup as:

1.1 *tab* (a)

combining level 2 and level 3 within the same paragraph, followed by:

*tab* (b)
*tab* (c)
*tab* (d)
1.2, etc.

Thanks so much in advance for any suggestions or recommendations.

Rod

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

One way is to use LISTNUM fields, assuming that the "(a)" format is part of
the outline numbered list. For example:

1
1.1
1.2 tab { LISTNUM }

which would display as:

1
1.1
1.2tab(a)

To insert the field delimiters, { }, you can press Ctrl+F9. Type the code as
shown. Use F9 to display the result of the field. (Generally, Alt+F9 can be
used to show/hide all field codes in a document.)

Another way is to use SEQ fields.

In either case, you'd manually insert the tab character, by pressing TAB.
Note that you will have to define a tab stop at the appropriate location.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"RPMitchal" wrote in message
Word 2003

Ladies and Gents:

I have a paragraph number sequence that is set up as:
1
1.1
(a)

However, the author of the document has requested that in several of the
paragraphs, the second level numbering be setup as:

1.1 *tab* (a)

combining level 2 and level 3 within the same paragraph, followed by:

*tab* (b)
*tab* (c)
*tab* (d)
1.2, etc.

Thanks so much in advance for any suggestions or recommendations.

Rod

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RPMitchal RPMitchal is offline

Stefan:

Thanks so much for your assistance with this. I'm sure that your {listnum}
suggestion will work just fine, as soon as I do the necessary research on how
that particular field code works within MSWord.

At this point I'm thinking that it has at least a little something to do
with naming the *ListNum field list name* option within the customize
numbering setup, which is something for which I've never had an explanation.

I really appreciate you pointing me in the right direction in this regard.

Rod

"RPMitchal" wrote in message
Word 2003

Ladies and Gents:

I have a paragraph number sequence that is set up as:
1
1.1
(a)

However, the author of the document has requested that in several of the
paragraphs, the second level numbering be setup as:

1.1 *tab* (a)

combining level 2 and level 3 within the same paragraph, followed by:

*tab* (b)
*tab* (c)
*tab* (d)
1.2, etc.

Thanks so much in advance for any suggestions or recommendations.

Rod

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Yes, the "ListNum field list name" can be used with LISTNUM fields. (It may
not be 100% safe, though. For example, I'm not sure if it works reliably
when copying numbered paragraphs between documents.) But if you only use the
field within paragraphs numbered using a particular outline-numbered list,
you shouldn't have to specify a name in the field code.

The syntax of the LISTNUM field is this: { LISTNUM ["Name"] [Switches] }.
Basically, you can use the field to specify the level of an outline using
the \l (lowercase L) switch; you can also set a starting value using the \s
switch. (See also
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/...tbylistnum.htm.)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"RPMitchal" wrote in message
Word 2003

Ladies and Gents:

I have a paragraph number sequence that is set up as:
1
1.1
(a)

However, the author of the document has requested that in several of
the
paragraphs, the second level numbering be setup as:

1.1 *tab* (a)

combining level 2 and level 3 within the same paragraph, followed by:

*tab* (b)
*tab* (c)
*tab* (d)
1.2, etc.

Thanks so much in advance for any suggestions or recommendations.

Rod

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RPMitchal RPMitchal is offline

Ahhh Terrific Stefan.

I really don't know what I would do without you folks who are so dedicated
to this "forum".

Thanks so much for taking your assistance a step further by pointing out to
me some of the uses for the *switches* used with the {LISTNUM} field.

Rod

"RPMitchal" wrote in message
Word 2003

Ladies and Gents:

I have a paragraph number sequence that is set up as:
1
1.1
(a)

However, the author of the document has requested that in several of
the
paragraphs, the second level numbering be setup as:

1.1 *tab* (a)

combining level 2 and level 3 within the same paragraph, followed by:

*tab* (b)
*tab* (c)
*tab* (d)
1.2, etc.

Thanks so much in advance for any suggestions or recommendations.

Rod

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Glad I could help! And thank you for the feedback.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP