How can I get a line to separate paragraphs?

Old September 14th 07, 10:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Margaret Bartley[_2_]

Default How can I get a line to separate paragraphs?

I'm trying to put horizontal lines in my text, as a way of separating news
items. I'm using Format | Borders and Shading, and selecting to apply to
the Paragraph. Actually, the only other choice is text, and that's an
outline.

I have four paragraphs: one is a header line, wiith a bold, large font, and
then three paragraphs under it.

I want a horizontal line separating that first title paragraph from the next
three content paragraphs.

But it seems I cannot have a line separating only paragraphs 1 and 2. I
have to have a line separating them all, or none.

My document consists of many paragraphs. These four paragraphs all have the
same background color. The rest of the paragraphs around them don't have a
background color.

It doesn't matter whether I've just clicked on a space between two
characters in one of the lines, if I've selected a whole paragraph, if I've
selected two paragraphs, or if I've selected all four paragraphs. The only
choice I get is to put a line at the top, at the bottom, or between all four
paragraphs. I can't select just two paragraphs, and put a line between them,
and I can't select just the first, and put a line under it, nor select the
second paragraph and put a line above it When i select the second
paragraph, and put a line above it, the line only shows up above the first
paragraph, which wasn't even selected!

I hope this is clear.

Old September 14th 07, 11:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor

It sounds as though you are using manual formatting. Don't!
Create and/or use a different style for the title and add a border as part
of the heading paragraph style
Make the follow on paragraph style your body style without the border.

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org