Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Steve_Ray[_2_] Steve_Ray[_2_] is offline

Default What exactly is the 'gutter'?

I haven't seen a definition in any WORD help docs of what the 'gutter' refers
to.

How is it different from the 'margin' -- e.g., the 'top gutter' v. the 'top
margin'?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The gutter is extra space added on opposite sides of facing pages, to allow
for binding in duplex (double-sided) documents. You can accomplish the same
thing by selecting "Mirror margins" and making the Inside margin larger, but
sometimes using the gutter solves the problem more graphically. I don't have
enough experience to say what happens when you choose Top for the gutter
position; this refinement was introduced (and explained) in Word 2000, and
I've just finally given away my Word 2000 manuals (a mistake I've regretted
several times already!).

"Steve_Ray" wrote in message
I haven't seen a definition in any WORD help docs of what the 'gutter'

refers
to.

How is it different from the 'margin' -- e.g., the 'top gutter' v. the

'top
margin'?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Steve_Ray Steve_Ray is offline

The gutter is extra space added on opposite sides of facing pages, to allow
for binding in duplex (double-sided) documents. You can accomplish the same
thing by selecting "Mirror margins" and making the Inside margin larger, but
sometimes using the gutter solves the problem more graphically.

Thanks. It's hard for me to picture the distinction you're making. Maybe
if I experiment with both, I'll be able to see the difference more clearly.

(I'm guessing that 'gutter' is supposed to be the equivalent of
WordPerfect's 'binding width' adjustment, but the fact that WORD also offers
'mirror margins,' which appears to do the same, is confusing.)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Exactly. "Gutter" (IMO) is for the mathematically challenged. For a
situation when it can be really helpful in visualizing a solution, however,
see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...etPrinting.htm

gutter position jlh Page Layout 1 April 29th 07 03:44 PM
Gutter? mwilg Microsoft Word Help 2 August 14th 06 12:16 AM
Gutter Suzie New Users 2 April 12th 06 09:54 PM
Even after changing it to 0, I cannot remove the gutter on my doc Sherri Page Layout 5 July 19th 05 07:22 PM
Gutter Text Gerry Page Layout 3 May 15th 05 03:35 PM