Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gustyn Gustyn is offline

Default Word Settings not saving from one session to another

Can anyone answer why my style settings will not save in a template in 2007
when it is editing a 2003 template? Also, I cannot seem to get the settings
for my workgropy template location to stick between sessions. I am having
other similar problems throughout the program. I am getting inconsistent
results keeping persistent settings between sessions.

For example, I change the settings for the normal style to Arial 12 and tell
it not to use any spacing after or before paragraphs. I tell them to save it
to the template, then save the template, close it open new document and the
defaults are right back to calisti font and 10 pts spacing after paragraphs.

This is extremely aggravating.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Deleting the Data key might fix these problems. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Gustyn" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gustyn Gustyn is offline

that key doesn't seem to be in the Word 2007 registry settings. Or 2003 it
looks like either. Any idea where they moved them?

"Gustyn" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If the key is not present it could explain a lot, but more likely you are
looking in the wrong place -
http://www.gmayor.com/my_toolbars_are_missing.htm should help you locate
it.

"Gustyn" wrote in message
Can anyone answer why my style settings will not save in a template
in 2007
when it is editing a 2003 template? Also, I cannot seem to get the
settings
for my workgropy template location to stick between sessions. I am
having other similar problems throughout the program. I am getting
inconsistent results keeping persistent settings between sessions.

For example, I change the settings for the normal style to Arial 12
and tell
it not to use any spacing after or before paragraphs. I tell them
to save it
to the template, then save the template, close it open new document
and the
defaults are right back to calisti font and 10 pts spacing after
paragraphs.

This is extremely aggravating.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gustyn Gustyn is offline

still can't find that key. I looked at the picture you had on your site,
word 2007 (or 12.0 in the registry has a significantly different structure.
I found a user settings in the tree at the same level as Word that has a
bunch of stuff but nothing that says data under there either.

"Gustyn" wrote in message
Can anyone answer why my style settings will not save in a template
in 2007
when it is editing a 2003 template? Also, I cannot seem to get the
settings
for my workgropy template location to stick between sessions. I am
having other similar problems throughout the program. I am getting
inconsistent results keeping persistent settings between sessions.

For example, I change the settings for the normal style to Arial 12
and tell
it not to use any spacing after or before paragraphs. I tell them
to save it
to the template, then save the template, close it open new document
and the
defaults are right back to calisti font and 10 pts spacing after
paragraphs.

This is extremely aggravating.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It looks exactly the same here in Windows XP?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\W ord\Data

If the key is not present, Word 2007 automatically adds it on startup.

"Gustyn" wrote in message
Can anyone answer why my style settings will not save in a
template in 2007
when it is editing a 2003 template? Also, I cannot seem to get
the settings
for my workgropy template location to stick between sessions. I
am having other similar problems throughout the program. I am
getting inconsistent results keeping persistent settings between
sessions.

For example, I change the settings for the normal style to Arial
12 and tell
it not to use any spacing after or before paragraphs. I tell them
to save it
to the template, then save the template, close it open new
document and the
defaults are right back to calisti font and 10 pts spacing after
paragraphs.

This is extremely aggravating.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gustyn Gustyn is offline

OK, even after fixing the data key, I seem to be having some problems getting
things to persist.

The one that bugs me at the moment is compatibility level. I tell word
under advanced options in word options that I want all new documents to be
compatible with 2003. I save it etc. Open a new doc, check back to that
option and it still has compatibility to 2007 displayed. Is that just the
default value that is displayed and not what the actual value is or is my
setting not getting saved at all?

Anyone know?

"Gustyn" wrote:

Can anyone answer why my style settings will not save in a template in 2007
when it is editing a 2003 template? Also, I cannot seem to get the settings
for my workgropy template location to stick between sessions. I am having
other similar problems throughout the program. I am getting inconsistent
results keeping persistent settings between sessions.

For example, I change the settings for the normal style to Arial 12 and tell
it not to use any spacing after or before paragraphs. I tell them to save it
to the template, then save the template, close it open new document and the
defaults are right back to calisti font and 10 pts spacing after paragraphs.

This is extremely aggravating.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

New unsaved documents are all in Word's internal format. The issue of
compatibility doesn't occur until you save the document. If you want to save
in compatibility options - set the Word Options Save to Word 97 - 2003.