Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Frank Frank is offline

Default how to draw horizontal line in word document

in office 2007 I cannot see how to draw a horizontal line in a letter.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Insert tab - Illustrations group - Shapes

BTW - the Help file would have told you this.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"frank" wrote in message
in office 2007 I cannot see how to draw a horizontal line in a letter.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Luc Luc is offline

Frank,
Depending on how you want the line to behave you can apply a paragraph
border or use the horizontal line feature on the Home ribbon both features
are in the paragraph group, border button.
If you really want to draw it yourself, on the Insert ribbon choose the
shapes button in the Illustrations group. Select the line tool and drag a
line on the page.

--
Luc Sanders
MVP - PowerPoint

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
djprius djprius is offline

frank wrote:
in office 2007 I cannot see how to draw a horizontal line in a letter.

I think you want, in Word 2007:

Home | Paragraph Group | Second Row at far right: This is the Borders
and Shading Icon.

(What shows, and the screen tip, is the last selection you've made.)

If you click the drop-down arrow at the right of the icon, you'll see a
menu. "Horizontal Line" is towards the bottom.

You could use a bottom border instead of the graphic "horizontal line",
if that better suits your needs.

David
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Frank Frank is offline

Thanks. I had tried the Shapes but could not see how to draw a simple
straight line across the page. I think that your reply will help. Will now go
away and try.

"djprius" wrote:

frank wrote:
in office 2007 I cannot see how to draw a horizontal line in a letter.

I think you want, in Word 2007:

Home | Paragraph Group | Second Row at far right: This is the Borders
and Shading Icon.

(What shows, and the screen tip, is the last selection you've made.)

If you click the drop-down arrow at the right of the icon, you'll see a
menu. "Horizontal Line" is towards the bottom.

You could use a bottom border instead of the graphic "horizontal line",
if that better suits your needs.

David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Like I said - the answer is in the Help file. Hold the Shift key down while
you're drawing the line.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

"djprius" wrote:

frank wrote:
in office 2007 I cannot see how to draw a horizontal line in a letter.

I think you want, in Word 2007:

Home | Paragraph Group | Second Row at far right: This is the Borders
and Shading Icon.

(What shows, and the screen tip, is the last selection you've made.)

If you click the drop-down arrow at the right of the icon, you'll see a
menu. "Horizontal Line" is towards the bottom.

You could use a bottom border instead of the graphic "horizontal line",
if that better suits your needs.

David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Frank Frank is offline

The help page is not at all clear. The reply fom diprius was just what I was
looking for. I had tried the dragging while holding the shift key but that
semed not in keeping with Word and a retrograde step from earlier Word
versions.. The help page would be greatly improved by the addition of
diprius' input.

"djprius" wrote:

frank wrote:
in office 2007 I cannot see how to draw a horizontal line in a letter.

I think you want, in Word 2007:

Home | Paragraph Group | Second Row at far right: This is the Borders
and Shading Icon.

(What shows, and the screen tip, is the last selection you've made.)

If you click the drop-down arrow at the right of the icon, you'll see a
menu. "Horizontal Line" is towards the bottom.

You could use a bottom border instead of the graphic "horizontal line",
if that better suits your needs.

David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

What he explained was a border under a paragraph. What I explained was
drawing a line. You asked how to draw a line in a letter and I told you how.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~