Black cross instead of the normal cursor

Old October 26th 07, 05:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Marcus

Default Black cross instead of the normal cursor

When working on a Word document, I pressed by accident a key combination I
cannot remember anymore. Suddenly, the normal cursor changed into a small
black cross. Afterwards I tried to do it again, by I could not find the
correct key combination. Does anybody know what I did and what the function
of that black cross is?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Marcus

Old October 26th 07, 08:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Marcus

Well, that's exactly what I did. You are right, it does not matter, if you
mean being any trouble or problem for me. But I just want to understand what
happened and to be able to do it again. And to use this function I did not
know before :-))

Marcus

Uzytkownik "garfield-n-odie [MVP]"
napisal w wiadomosci ...

Old October 26th 07, 09:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Possibly it is Alt+Ctrl++, which Word's Help topic "Keyboard shortcuts"
defines as follows:

ALT+CTRL++ (plus key on numeric keypad)
Customize the shortcut key for a menu command. When you type this shortcut
key and then select a menu command, the Customize Keyboard dialog box opens
so you can add, change, or remove the shortcut key.

What you get with that is not really a plus sign, though, but a character
sometimes described as a cloverleaf (character 122 in the Wingdings font). I
thought there was something that produced a plus sign (as Alt+Ctrl+Hyphen
produces a "minus"), but I'm not finding it at the moment.

Old October 27th 07, 09:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Marcus

Thanks!
Your answer brought me on the right track: it is the key combination
"ALT+Ctrl+=" (the third key is the "=/+" key on the normal keyboard)!
And I ment the mouse pinter, of course, but if you wrote about the
cloverleaf after pressing ALT+CTRL++, you must have understood me correctly.
Unortunately, I have not found out, yet, what the keyboard shortcut
"ALT+Ctrl+=" is for...

Marcus

Uzytkownik "Suzanne S. Barnhill" napisal w wiadomosci
Possibly it is Alt+Ctrl++, which Word's Help topic "Keyboard shortcuts"
defines as follows:

ALT+CTRL++ (plus key on numeric keypad)
Customize the shortcut key for a menu command. When you type this shortcut
key and then select a menu command, the Customize Keyboard dialog box
opens
so you can add, change, or remove the shortcut key.

What you get with that is not really a plus sign, though, but a character
sometimes described as a cloverleaf (character 122 in the Wingdings font).
thought there was something that produced a plus sign (as Alt+Ctrl+Hyphen
produces a "minus"), but I'm not finding it at the moment.

so
all may benefit.

Old October 27th 07, 01:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Well, I did try that one because that was what I first thought of, but
unfortunately I have that assigned to something else (it inserts a dagger),
so I was unable to find it in the normal way. According to Word's Help,
however:

ALT+CTRL+= (equal sign)
Add a toolbar button to a menu. When you type this shortcut key and then
click a toolbar button, Microsoft Word adds the button to the appropriate
menu. For example, click Bullets on the Formatting toolbar to add the
Bullets command to the Format menu.

"Marcus" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

Old October 27th 07, 08:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Marcus

Thanks a lot!
It's nice to know and understand more than you did before :-)