user does not have access privileges

Old February 19th 05, 06:55 PM
User does not have access privileges

Default user does not have access privileges

I try to open some files in the C:\Documents and Settings\Owner file and it
says that I don't have the privilege to open those files. I tried deleting
the Microsoft Update K885250, but it didn't work. I also tried to enter in
safe mode, and I tried disabling the plug-in from Norton AntiVirus, and
nothing worked. I have no idea what to do and it's getting annoying.
Someone please help me!!
Old February 19th 05, 08:13 PM
Pat Garard

G'Day User,

Your "problem" sounds as though it has its origins in
Windows' capacity to cater for multiple users.

Suppose there are users - Tom, Dick and Harry.

Windows Xp will create folders called:
"Toms Documents",
"Dicks Documents" AND
"Harrys Documents"
within the "C:\Documents and Settings\UserName structure.

When Tom logs in, he will see 'My Documents' as a
shortcut to 'Toms Documents'. He will also be able
to see 'Toms Documents' (separately), 'Dicks Documents'
and 'Harrys Documents'.

If no particular Ownership privileges are being enforced,
OR if Tom is an ADMINISTRATOR, he will be able
to read/edit all documents.

If Ownership privileges are enforced, he may be able
to see the files (ie their names), but to read/edit only
his own.
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

Old February 19th 05, 08:53 PM
User does not have access privileges

well i understand that. now once I enter "documents and settings" there are
four foulders: my documents, all users, administrator, and owner. the folder
I can't open is owner. when I login to my computer, there is only one
option. so why can't I access the "owner" folder if I'm the owner?

Old February 20th 05, 07:25 AM
Pat Garard

G'Day User,

Under C:\Documents and Settings, I would expect to find:
\All Users
\Default User
\Owner ('cos YOU said so)
AND \NOTHING ELSE!!

I would NOT expect to see:
\Administrator
OR \My Documents
and I suspect that somebody has been fiddling!!

What UserName do YOU log in as??
--
Regards,
Pat Garard