How do I move all my excel and word files to new computer

Old December 1st 07, 08:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus

Default How do I move all my excel and word files to new computer

I recently purchased new laptop and want to move all my Microsoft 2007 Home
and School to my new computer. Both computers run 2007. Do I have to copy
each file fromold and move to new or is there a more efficient way to do
this??
Old December 1st 07, 08:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules

I'd use a flash drive.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

Old December 1st 07, 10:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have all the files in My Documents, you can copy the whole folder. If
you've been clever and created subfolders of My Documents for Word files and
for Excel files, you can copy just those folders. A flash drive (even a
capacious one) may not hold all the files if they are large or numerous.
What I found worked great was an external USB hard drive. I got a Maxtor 80
GB drive for about $80 that would theoretically allow me to back up my
entire HD (and it's intended for backup use, not just for transferring
files), and it made quick work of moving all my data from my old computer to
a new one.

Old December 2nd 07, 06:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Both computers will undoubtedly have an ethernet port. Obtain a crossover
network cable from your local computer shop and create a simple network to
copy the My Documents content from one to the other. Microsoft Office you
will have to install on the laptop.

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Old December 2nd 07, 04:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I would advise that "creating a simple network" may be beyond the
capabilities of many users (including me, apparently), and that getting the
two computers in physical proximity will be required. Obviously, this is
easier is one is a laptop; in the case of two desktops (my situation), it
wouldn't have been practical. I did briefly consider getting a wireless
adapter for one or the other of the machines so as to use the wireless
network already established, but the USB HD proved to be a lot simpler and
can be used for routine backups as well.