How to change resolution of pictures in Word 2007

Old December 5th 07, 10:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
alby

Default How to change resolution of pictures in Word 2007

From Picture Tools-Format-Adjust-Compress pictures, I can't alter the
default resolution (200 dpi). I want all pictures in the document to be 600
dpi. Any ideas?
Old December 6th 07, 03:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Alby,

The compression setting doesn't reflect what the original resolution of the pictures are, only what you can choose to (in some
cases) reduce them to to make the document smaller when saved to disk or emailed. The pixel per inch (ppi) settings for a graphic
also don't necessarily correlate to the printers dot per inch (dpi) or quality results.

You can't use the tools to increase a PPI value. Some formats allow you to store a PPI marker in the graphic to use for sizing and
content, others do not. For example .GIF files are 96PPI, while JPGs can be set when they're created.

Word 2000, 2002/XP and 2003 used the information in the graphic to control the display size in the document from the 'Web options'
settings. Word 2007 no longer does, for the most part it seems to assumes 96PPI when no other value is available in inserted JPGs
and the Web Options setting doesn't impact its display size.

==============
"alby" wrote in message ...
From Picture Tools-Format-Adjust-Compress pictures, I can't alter the
default resolution (200 dpi). I want all pictures in the document to be 600 dpi. Any ideas?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Old May 1st 09, 09:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chris

I am trying to create a postcard for commercial printing and all of the
pictures used have original resolutions all above 400 DPI. When I try to set
them to 300 for commercial printing in Publisher they change but never to
300, always lower. I can find no way to get them to 300 in Word either. Would
appreciate any feedback or help. Thanks.
Chris

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

From Picture Tools-Format-Adjust-Compress pictures, I can't alter the

Old May 1st 09, 10:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mary Sauer[_2_]

Have you thought about changing the resolution in an editing program?
www.getpaint.net is free as well as www.irfanview.com plus the plug-ins.

--
Mary Sauer
http://msauer.mvps.org/

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

From Picture Tools-Format-Adjust-Compress pictures, I can't alter the

Old May 2nd 09, 02:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz

Mary is absolutely right - attempting to alter image resolution in a
glorified text editor is typically a recipe for disaster. If the job is to
be printed commercially I honestly don't know why you want to downsample the
images in the first place.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 5/1/09 4:20 PM, in article
, "Chris"

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

From Picture Tools-Format-Adjust-Compress pictures, I can't alter the

Old October 28th 13, 01:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

"alby" wrote in message
From Picture Tools-Format-Adjust-Compress pictures, I can't alter the
default resolution (200 dpi). I want all pictures in the document to be 600
dpi. Any ideas?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

The sites you recommend are harmful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!