How do I Add a title above a table?

Old February 21st 05, 10:47 PM
slamy623

Default How do I Add a title above a table?

I have made 7 pages of tables - class lists for taking attendance at choir
practice at my daughter's school - and now want to add a title to each page -
ie - Ms. Smith's Grade 2 Junior Choir. I have left enough margin above the
tables to have room for a title, just don't know how to now type "outside of
the box" so to speak...
Old February 21st 05, 11:38 PM

This depends on what you mean by a "title" and whether the seven pages are
one continuous table or seven separate tables. Here are several guesses to
accommodate various possible situations:

1. Table starts at the top of the document and you can't figure out how to
get an ordinary text paragraph in front of it: Press Ctrl+Home to get to the
very beginning of the table, then press Enter. Type your title in the new
empty paragraph.

2. The table is continuous, and you want the same title on every page:
Insert a new top row, remove borders if necessary and merge cells, type the
title in the new single cell, and mark the row as a heading.

3. The tables are separate, and you want the same title on every page: Use a
header. See http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/HeaderFooter.htm (You can
use this approach in situation 2 as well.)

4. The tables are separate, and you want a different title on each page:
Type the title above the table. This may well amount to typing it at the
bottom of the previous page, but if you then format it as "Keep with next"
(Format | Paragraph | Line and Page Breaks), it will jump to the page with
the table.

5. The table is continuous, and you want a different title on each page:
You'll need to split the table; use the empty paragraph that will be
inserted between tables to type your title (see 4 for further information).