How do I renumber existing footnotes so that they start from '1'?

Old December 26th 07, 09:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Windpipe

Default How do I renumber existing footnotes so that they start from '1'?

I'm trying to renumber an existing book-length continuous sequence of
footnotes to start from '1' in each chapter. I'm hoping there's a way to do
this that won't involve bypassing the electronic numbering altogether. Can't
seem to find this explained anywhere, but also don't remember it being a
problem. I'm using Word 2003, Windows XP Professional.

Old December 26th 07, 10:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
grammatim[_2_]

On Dec 26, 4:58*pm, Windpipe
wrote:
I'm trying to renumber an existing book-length continuous sequence of
footnotes to start from '1' in each chapter. I'm hoping there's a way to do
this that won't involve bypassing the electronic numbering altogether. Can't
seem to find this explained anywhere, but also don't remember it being a
problem. I'm using Word 2003, Windows XP Professional.

Hopefully each of your chapters is a separate Section already. (If
not, put the cursor at the start of the first line of each chapter;
Insert Break Section break types Next page [or: Odd page].) (If
you already have a New Page break before each chapter, it could be a
problem -- they seem to be very hard to delete.)

Then: Insert Reference Footnote ... and change Numbering from
Continuous to Restart each section.

If there are any cross-references to footnote numbers, update them:
Ctrl-A to select the entire document, and press F9. When it's done,
click somewhere in the document to deselect the entire document, or
you could wipe it out with a single keystroke!