Cursor jumps while typing in Word 2007 Vista

Old January 20th 08, 12:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CPTGAWRY

Default Cursor jumps while typing in Word 2007 Vista

EVERYTIME I am typing a message or working on a letter in Word 2007, the
cursor will jump to another sentence. Has anyone else experienced this and
what is the solution?
Old January 20th 08, 02:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Laptop? Keep your hands away from the touch pad.

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Old January 21st 08, 02:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ferdinand

I have the same problem, and I am keeping my hands away from the touch pad
and everything else except for the keys I want to press. A computer science
major said it was a Vista problem. I also took it to a computer shop. The
technician reinstalled Office but there was little improvement.

Old January 24th 08, 02:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ferdinand

Thank you Graham.
Another problem is that for no apparent reason, when i"m typing a message it
desapears or a window pops up asking if I want to quit. Do you think it is a
related problem?

Old January 28th 08, 06:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Soundchick

I love how everyone who has not experienced this problem is so quick to say
that it's just the user accidentally touching the touchpad. I am an IT
professional myself and I have had this problem on 3 laptops now. Different
brands, different OS, different touchpad drivers, etc. I have gone as far as
disabling the touchpad, but even then I have the same problems (cursor
jumping, windows closing, etc.) There seems to be a flaw in the Windows OS
when it comes to the touchpad. The only thing I have found that has helped me
is a little program called TouchFreeze. You can download it for free from
several places (just do a Google search) but I'll post a link below. Since I
downloaded and installed it, I have not had the problem. I wish I had the
time to analyze the code to see what it is actually doing. The program is
supposed to simply disable the touchpad while one is typing. I wish
Microsoft would take a look at this and get a patch released to fix it!

http://code.google.com/p/touchfreeze/

Old January 29th 08, 08:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

The simple fact is that some touchpads are so sensitive to taps (because
that is how they work) that even heavy fingered typists will activate the
tap function without actually touching the pad. This utility seems to be
worth investigating. If it is not compatible with Vista, I would not be
surprised if an update comes along soon.

Old January 29th 08, 03:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To add to the discussion, yesterday my husband started experiencing the
wandering mouse/cursor problem on his laptop. He could sit in front of the
computer not touching anything and watch the mouse pointer gradually drift
to the top left corner of the screen. I've occasionally seen this sort of
mouse drift, but I could always regain control by moving the mouse
explicitly; he could not. He was unable to control the mouse or insertion
point via the external mouse, touchpad, or "eraserhead" pointing device on
the laptop. When he was trying to type an important email, the cursor would
suddenly jump up a line or two, and he couldn't move it with the mouse.

He did everything he could think of, including shutting down completely and
rebooting (cold restart). Finally, in desperation, he removed the wireless
network adapter and unplugged the laptop (its battery no longer holds any
appreciable charge, so it has to be run from mains power). A few minutes
later, he plugged everything back in, and so far all seems copacetic.
Unfortunately, he isn't sure whether the problem was the mostly dead
battery, the network adapter, or something else, but it seems to be fixed
temporarily.

Given the agony and bewilderment he experienced over this for several hours,
I can understand the frustration of users who are told that the problem
derives from their touchpad when they are convinced that this is not the
case.

Old April 3rd 08, 07:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MB

Thats true, I installed ms office on my new laptop and have the same problem,
when ever I type it jumps to a different line and it happens alot. Just to
make sure it wasn't the computer keyboard I reinstalled it to a different
computer and the same thing happened. Very frustration. I will download the
touch freeze and see if that will solve my problem. Thanks!