Pop

Well, to mass export them, just save the doc as a Web Page. All
the graphics will be converted to separate files you can mass
edit. If they're bitmaps it might be a problem, but if they're
JPEGs or PNG, you have a chance.
It might screw up footnotes though if you use that method, so
test first on a reasonably sized file representation to save
time. See if the results are acceptable when you resave it back
to a doc file.

In the future, try to have the pics linked instead of embedded;
then you could just edit or replace the old files with the new
and it'd be done. There would be no pics in the doc, and the
disc space used would still go down a lot.

I don't k now of anything that works inside the Word doc though
that doesn't mean there isn't such an animal available.

As a web file, you -could- us Word's File View HTML Source to
mass Replace the file extensions. eg replace bmp with jpg.
You need to hav e the Web ability installed - I don't think it's
default, don't remember for sure.

Dunno if that helps any, but ... them's my thoughts.

Pop

Michael B. wrote:
Is there a tool to bulk-convert graphics that are inside a
Word doc?

Our org has a number of 2+ Mb Word files that could be
shrunk considerably if the screenshot that were just
pasted into them could be compressed to 72 dpi .jpg images.

I've found a tool that can do that en mass, but only if
the graphics are first on the hard drive. To save me the
work of manually extracting the graphics individually to
the hard drive, running the converter, and then manually
inserting them back into the Word doc, I'm hoping to find
a utility that will do that while the graphics are still
within the Word file.

Does anyone know of anything that will do this?

Thanks,

Michael