Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default table of contents field codes are on print out

Okay, now wait a minute. If you're talking about a TC field, then that is
not a Table of Contents (TOC) field; it's a Table of Contents *Entry* field,
which is a whole different animal. TC and XE fields are not toggled with
Alt+F9 or with the "Field codes" check boxes on the View and Print tabs of
Tools | Options. They're formatted as Hidden text and toggled with the
appropriate check boxes on those two tabs. It sounds to me as if you have
"Hidden text" checked on the Print tab and not on the View tab.

"geoboss" wrote in message
Yes, they do show in Print Preview. As a test I opened a blank document

and
inserted a number of different field codes. All print (or don't print) as
they should, except for the the Table of Contents {TC} code (code still

shows
up on printout). I'm convinced there's a glitch in SP3, because this

started
immediately after I installed it. Thanks for your help.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Do you see them in Print Preview? This is very mysterious. If you can

send
me (part of) the offending document, I'll take a look.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"geoboss" wrote in message
By the way, the {Page} field codes are not on the printout - only the

table
of contents field codes.

"geoboss" wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions, but both field code check boxes are

clear,
and
the problem persists. Any other ideas?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Print tab of Tools | Options (*not* the View tab), clear

the
check
box for "Field codes."

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"geoboss" wrote in message
My printouts include the codes for the table of contents. I

can't
get rid
of
them. The codes are not shown on the screen - only the

printouts.
No
other
codes or formatting marks are on the printouts. I'm using Word

2002, and
did not have this problem before installing Service Pack 3.