Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
emc emc is offline

Default I want to omit a field in a mail merge

Fantastic Graham, I have got it to work.

However, there is one slight tweak needed. As some of the entries don't
have a Prefix there is a space before their FirstName. Before you showed me
how to do this, in the Insert Word Field I had "If Prefix is not blank" in
the 'Insert this text' box I put a space and a space was created. Where
would I put this now?

EMC

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Remove that AddressBlock field (display with ALT+F9)
Using CTRL+F9 for each pair of brackets {} enter the following

{Mergefield Prefix} {IF{Mergefield Prefix} "Lady" " {Mergefield
FirstName}"} {Mergefield Surname}

Note the space between the quotes and {Mergefield FirstName} and the space
before {Mergefield Surname}. The rest is all entered on the same line (even
if it appears broken in this post).
Your address fields can follow as required.
Press Alt+F9 to display the results and merge to a new document.

emc wrote:
In my Prefix I have Mr/Mrs/Miss/Sir/Lady, FirstName as you would
expect along with Surname. However, as several records have Lady as
the Prefix these must only be addressed with the Prefix and Surname,
ie they cannot be addressed as Lady Jane Brown, they must be
addressed as Lady[Prefix] Brown[Surname]. That's why I would like the
merge to omit the FirstName and only insert the Prefix and Surname in
the documentation.

I hope this explanation helps.

EMC

PS I tried the http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm
link but it isn't working.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

A conditional (IF) field is one that inserts (or fails to insert)
information when the condition applies. The example I quoted earlier
{IF{Mergefield FirstName} "Fred" "{Mergefield FirstName}"}
inserts the FirstName field when the firstname is anything other
than Fred. You have not said what conditions apply that you should
omit the firstname.
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm or
http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm should give
you some background to merges generally, but if you tell us what the
relevant fieldnames are and what conditions apply when you wish to
insert them, I'll tell you what to enter.
That data source is irrelevant. It is the fieldnames that matter and
how you want to display them.

emc wrote:
Graham,

Sorry - my head is full of mince today!

I'm afraid I'm not too clued up on mail merges and don't know what a
conditional field is. Can you please elaborate on this for me? My
data source is coming from Access in case that is a problem.

EMC

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

I said don't used the AddressBlock! Remove the addressblock field
from the document and use instead the individual fields that make
up the address

emc wrote:
Graham,

I have tried it with the AddressBlock. Unfortunately I have a
number of fields and cannot match them in the Required Information
Match Fields dialagoe box resulting in a lot of my information
being omitted. I have tried matching them in the Optional
Information but this does not appear.

Unfortunately I cannot insert the fields after the AddressBlock as
these fields are required after the LastName and before Address1.

EMC

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

For any of your question to be relevant you must be using the
AddressBlock field. Don't! Insert the individual fields as you
require them. You can then use a conditional field to insert the
FirstName field when a condition applies eg
{IF{Mergefield FirstName} "Fred" "{Mergefield FirstName}"}

emc wrote:
I have a mail merge with Prefix, FirstName, Surname, etc.

For various reasons when sending out mail some people should
only have their Prefix and Surname shown. I need to have their
FirstName in the merge as I use it for a large amount of other
documents otherwise I would remove it.

I have tried the "If...Then...Else" but it doesn't work and I
can't use the Skip button as this is for the entire record. Is
there another way of doing it?

Thank you.