Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy Cindy is offline

Default How do I Remove a style in word 2003? That will not delete

I guess they are not styles, they don't show up in the organizer. In the
Styles and Formatting pane I have stuff I would like to get rid of. I have 4
entries that are BOLD. why one is different than the other I don't know. I
have two labeled Italic. I delete one and reformat that text with the other
Italic format and two show up again.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

Document corruption often is the culprit. I ran into that situation earlier
this week in Word 2003--the style was not in use, but refused to be deleted.
On a whim, I tried the Manage Styles dialog in Word 2007, and was successful
in zapping it. It no longer shows up in Word 2003.

Since you probably don't have Word 2007, I would try the following:

1. Tools - Templates and Add-ins - Organizer - Styles tab. See if you can
delete the style from here.

or

2. Format - Styles and Formatting - set Show: (bottom) to Custom, enable
Save settings in template (if relevant), click Styles at the bottom, set
Category to User-defined styles, click on the style, then click Delete.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"cindy" wrote in message
I would like to remove a style. I try deleting it, the confirmation window
display, but style remains and is in use. I format the text that is using
that style. Does format, still using unwanted style. Tried clearing the
format for selected text. Still uses that unwanted style.

I can try deleting the style for the 100th time, but it does not delete.
Does anyone know why?