Graham Mayor

Why not? Floppy discs are an ancient technology. Word creates a host of
temporary files in the working folder. It is not possioble to pre-determine
the file size of the document nor the size of the temporaty files. If it
cannot create them through lack of space, then goodbye document, goodbye
disc. *Always* work from the hard drive and *copy* to removable media from
Windows.

Hi Ho Silver wrote:
Surely this can't be true?

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...
If you want to be able to use your documents, when working with in
Word, act as if your floppy drive does not exist. (This applies to
CDRW/CDR drives as well.)
Don't use Word to:
Open a document on a floppy
Print a document on a floppy
Edit a document on a floppy
Save a document to a floppy (not even a copy)

Word regularly trashes documents on floppy drives!

Instead, work on the document using your hard drive. Copy it back and
forth using Windows.

I know that for some with shared computers (libraries) this is a
tough prescription. All I can recommend for that is to use a brand
new formatted disk each time you save and don't do any editing.

To answer your question, from within Word, open a document on your
hard drive.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"alanthegrey" wrote in
message ...
I copied some Word documents onto my hard drive using the floppy.
The Floppy
drive now starts when I open Word. How can I stop this?