Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default complicated list numbering

"grammatim" wrote:

Ok, I've gotten partway there. I Reset all my Outline Numbering panels
and followed the instructions for setting up my Level 1 and Level 2
styles.

The first problem I found was that Level 2 wouldn't increment the
Level 1 number (so that I got (27) (28) (28)a. instead of (27)
(28) (29)a. ) (If I do the first line as a Level 1 and simply
type "a." after it, it looks fine but I can't do a cross-reference to
(28a).)

To increment level 1, just press Enter to add a new paragraph in the
corresponding style. Or, to do so *within* a paragraph, insert a LISTNUM
field for level 1. Note that you can duplicate an existing LISTNUM field by
using copy and paste. And you can change the numbering level for a LISTNUM
field by right-clicking and then choosing Increase Indent / Decrease Indent
from the context menu.

The second problem is that I can't get a tab between (29) and b. : if
I type ^t in the Number format box, it shows ^t ; if I type Ctrl-tab
to put a tab there, it ignores it. This is so the b. will align with
the a. above it; I presumably have to mark each Level 1 number as
Hidden separately, as there doesn't seem to be a way to assign Font
characteristics to just part of a Number format.

As you set up the numbering, in the Multilevel List dialog box, click the
More button to see all options. By default, the "Follow number with" option
is set to "Tab character," but note that you may have to adjust the tab stop
position for the first level: Click the "Add tab stop at" option and specify
the desired value. (If you need additional tab characters in the text, just
add tab stops to the horizontal ruler and insert then insert tabs by pressing
CTRL+TAB directly in the text.)

In a paragraph that does not include the first level, such as "b" in this
example from your first message:

(3) tab a. tab opkn0pinipnqedfqwefqwe

tab b. tab ppkn0pinipnqedfqwefqwe

make sure to specify the desired left indent for text instead of adding a
tab character.

The third problem is that it formats the cross-reference as (29)--b
(i.e., NOW the tab shows up!!) but it needs to be (29b) .

See if this problem goes away once you have defined the tab stops
appropriately, as described above. If not, post back.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

On Dec 18, 5:09 am, Stefan Blom wrote:
You'll have to set up numbering as an outline-numbered list (seehttp://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html). The example
uses heading styles, but since this is not heading numbering, you should use
the List Number series (List Number, which you are already using, List Number
2, etc.).

When numbering is correctly set up and applied to text, insert LISTNUM
fields (via Insert | Field) for the "inline" numbering.

You can then use the Cross-reference dialog to insert cross-references to
paragraph and/or LISTNUM numbers. To always include higher levels in a
cross-reference, use the "Paragraph number (full context)" option for "Insert
reference to" in the dialog box.

"grammatim" wrote:
I'm editing a linguistics article. Examples in linguistics are
numbered sequentially through an article, and the built-in style "List
Number" works fine for that.

But sometimes a linguistics example has subparts that are lettered,
and I need to be able to insert cross-references to the subparts into
the text.

Example

(1) tab asdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdf

(2) tab opwjertojqero[tijao[ijwert

(3) tab a. tab opkn0pinipnqedfqwefqwe

tab b. tab ppkn0pinipnqedfqwefqwe

(4) tab ppqnergipnqerbaoijbgjk

Paragraph of discussion, which points out that (3a) is like (2) but
(3b) resembles (4).

/Example

So, is there a way in Word2003 to continue the main list numbering
into an occasional example with subparts, and then to refer to the
subpart including the main number -- even if the main number doesn't
appear in the second subpart line? (Presumably this uses the "with
context" feature of cross-referencing.)

Thanks, all!-