Rits

Default Autocorrect Exceptions DELETE greyed out

I use Word '97. Recently I discovered that AutoCorrect has Exceptions for
capitalization after period (I was having problems with Word not capitalizing
the first letters after periods). I thus deleted all the unwanted entries
from the EXCEPTIONS box and unchecked the "Automatically add words.." option.
However, when I selected entries with two periods after them (eg. "today.."
"here.."), the DELETE button is greyed out and thus I am not able to delete
all entries with two periods. What can I do to delete these entries as well?