Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Ed Ed is offline

Default Merge fields in header

Thanks, Peter.

I gave it a try but it doesn't work. Perhaps I don't understand
exactly how to do Step f. I tried it with both
STYLEREF SubmitterStyle and {STYLEREF SubmitterStyle} but it
doesn't work. In fact,
now the submitter name from the data source doesn't appear on even the
first page.

What am I missing?

Ed
"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
Try this:

a. Put the { MERGEFIELD submitter } somewhere in your form (e.g.
just after the LASTNAME mergefield in the first block in the form.
b. Modify the field so it reads
{ MERGEFIELD submitter \*Charformat }
c. create a character style called (say) submitterstyle
d. set the font of submitterstyle to have colour white
e. apply the style to the mergefield you just entered (apply it to
the mergefield code, not the result)
f. replace the { MERGEFIELD submitter } field that you have in your
header by

{ STYLEREF submitterstyle }

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Ed" wrote in message
Doug,

I guess the best way to answer your questions is to show you the
form:

http://www.efsowell.us/ed/JOCLA/JCNAMEM01Form.doc

As you can see, the SUBMITTER field is in the header (as in
header/footer). The subforms,
for want of a better term, are just Word tables in the body. There
is only one Section.

Ed

By "header", do you mean header as in the header and footer of the
document?

How are the subforms separated from each other and from the
"header" If they are in separate Sections and the "header" is of
the type mentioned above, do you have a header set up in each of
those sections?

If the "header" is of the type mentioned above, you could
probably achieve what you want by linking the headers in the
following sections (sub forms) to the header in the "header"

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my
services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Ed" wrote in message
I have a form that has a header and four "subforms". The header
has MailMerge fields for the SUBMITTER and his PHONE. Each
subform has several data fields. I have Next RECORD in front
of the first field in the second, third and forth
subforms. All of the data is in an Excel worksheet. In addition
to the data needed for the subforms, each row repeats the
SUBMITTER and PHONE, although these items are the same for all
rows.

The scheme works pretty well. If there are more than four rows in
the Excel worksheet a new form is started. But, here's the
glitch.
The SUBMITTER and PHONE fields are left blank in all forms but
the first. So, how do I get it to fill these fields in the second
and later forms?

TIA

Ed