Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default I like 2003 appearence much better.

You can use Ctrl+F1 or double click on any of the ribbon tabs to put the ribbon in 'view on mouseover' mode.

There isn't a classic interface choice available in the Ribboned apps. If
it's a retail product version you may be able to return Office 2007 for a refund
http://microsoft.com/mscorp/productrefund/refund.mspx
and then use your prior version.

If you still have a previous version of Word you can create a custom toolbar (Tools=Customize=Commands) and drag all of the Word
2003 commands onto it and many of those (there are some discontinued commands) will appear on the Add-ins tab in Word 2007.
http://gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm

You can also use some of the free or paid 3rd party add-ins available that have a 'classic' interface.

Toolbar Toggle
This is the only that I recall that allows you to 'float' old style toolbars to have them in locations on your screen other than
'top row'. http://toggletoolbar.com

Ribbon Customizer
This product includes old style toolbar visibility as well as tools to customize the Ribbon instead/in addition to that
http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribbon...izer/index.php

Both of these products reverts from their full feature 'Professional' version to a free versions to lite/starter editions after 30
days that still allows you to use the old style toolbars.

Another one is Shah Shailesh's Classic menu Add-in
http://in.geocities.com/shahshaileshs/menuaddins
I haven't checked into the details on this one.

You'll find other 3rd party tools by clicking the 'Toolbars and Menus' category choice on
http://office.microsoft.com/marketplace
and more through searching on http://google.com or Microsoft's http://Live.com

Note, that a lot of the keyboard shortcuts from the older versions still work in the 2007 versions. For example to get to what was
Word's
Tools=Options menu
both of these keyboard shortcuts work in Word 2007
Word 2007's: Alt, F, I
Word 2003's: Alt, T, O

You'll find 'cheat sheets' on many of the was/is combinations in the downloads from Microsoft available here.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx

=========
"ytbird" wrote in message ...
How do I get rid of the god awful look of 2007, and get more of my work area back?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP