Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default A master document as a subdocument?

If you continue on the master document path, you'll probably have need of
these articles:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Genera...MasterDocs.htm
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Genera...ocsCorrupt.htm
http://www.techwr-l.com/articles/general/masterdocs

If you want to investigate what Cindy suggested, pay close attention to the
names -- it is NOT "Insert text", it's the IncludeText field (and its
cousin, the IncludePicture field). These are discussed in the Help.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Dazed&Confused wrote:
Cinday & Jay,

Thank you for your responses. I have been trying this with a "test"
document in its own folder and nothing more that outline subdocs. It
seems to work. I appreciate that it is probably not recommended.

What I am trying to do is to pull together a HUGE document from a
number of other authors. It is a technical specification that may
wind up being 1000-2000 pages when complete. It will have embedded
objects such as Visio docs, Excel worksheets and other illustrative
pictures.

What I would like to do is manage the Master document while having
all the others manage their own subdocuments. I understand that hese
will all need to be in the same directory - is that correct?

Up til now I have beena pretty basic user of MS Wod. This project has
me delving into the more advanced features of Word and Office.

I will lookup the "Insert ext" fielyou mentioned.

Thanks again!

Hi Jay,

I have no idea whether it's technically feasible -- that is,
whether the sub-to-master linkages at one level would be maintained
to the next higher level.

I seem to recall that it is not supported, but I can't remember
where I read the information.

I was considering whether some of what the OP wants to achieve could
be done with IncludeText fields...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)