You can accomplish this in two steps. Apply autonumbers to the column. When
you have completed the table, before deleting rows, use the following macro
technique to convert the numbers to plain text:

1. Press Alt+F11 to open the VBA Editor.

2. Press Ctrl+G to open the Immediate window.

3. In that window, type:

ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText

and press Enter.

"bdunk" wrote in message
news
Hello,
I would like to autonumber the first column in a table. Every time you

tab
to start a new row I would like the first cell to be autonumbered.

However,
if the row is deleted I want the number to stay the same. I do not want

it
to renumber upon a row delete. Is this possible? Thanks for the help.
bdunk