See another of Shauna's articles for this:
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/numb...ppendixes.html

"J Streger" wrote in message
I working on a Word 2000 document. In this document I have used Shuana
Kelley's procedure to set up my Headings. This has worked wonderfully.

My problem is that my document will have figures/tables in both the

regular
sections, and the appendix section (Heading 1-6 are regular outline,

Headings
7-9 are Appendix A, A.1, A.1.1). The catch comes up that if I add a

caption
into the document, and set it to work off Heading 2 (to make figure

captions
look like 2.2-1). Then every figure in the document is changes to work off
Heading 2, even the appendix captions that I set to work of Heading 8 (to
make figure captions look like A.1-1). Is there any way to turn off this
automatic updating of the field codes, or will I have to copy/paste field
codes down to avoid this problem?

--
J Streger