Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Default TOC affected by IF field code

Hi book_worm71,

Why do you have an IF field associated with the TOC? What is the IF field's coding?

Have you considered using a document that contains only a TOC constructed with the use of RD fields?

--
Cheers
macropod

"book_worm71" wrote in message ...
I'm inserting chapters into my document using the IncludeText field. The
chapter I am trying to insert now has its own TOC. Here's what's happening:

1) If I just use the IncludeText field to include the chapter, everything is
fine - the chapter appears and its TOC shows the proper headings and is
numbered properly.

2) As soon as I'd put IncludeText inside an "IF" field, I was getting dummy
headings appearing in the TOC. Stefan was able to fix this issue by
suggesting the use of \! The dummy headings disappeared.

3) BUT now the numbering of the TOC now resets to 1, 1.1, 1.2, instead of
reflecting the appropriate chapter numbers. I'm guessing this might be the \!
switch preserving the numbering in the chapter document.

Is there some way to conditionally insert a chapter and still have the
numbering of the chapter's TOC work properly in the main document? What
bewilders me is that it works fine without the "IF" field, and as soon as the
"IF" field is added everything goes out the window. Is Word even meant for
this, or should I be using Framemaker or some other solution?

Thanks again for any help.