Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default _doc files

On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 14:28:01 -0700, Mary
wrote:

A friend sends us word documents that arrive with a "_doc" extension, and
Word 2007 Home edition won't open it unless we manually change the extension
to ".doc."
Windows Vista seemingly won't allow me to name Word as the program to open
"_doc" files.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Anything starting with an underscore is NOT an extension. By
definition, an extension starts with a dot, never an underscore.
That's why Windows won't let you assign a program to open a "_doc"
extension -- because that cannot be an extension.

Your friend may be renaming the files on his end because his email
application, whatever it is, objects to documents as attachments. If
so, he's doing you no favors. Ask him to zip the documents instead.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman