Peter Jamieson

The real problem with trying to merge letters with different layouts in the
same merge is that you cannot remove the final paragraph marker in a
document, and the formatting for that document/section is actually
associated with that paragraph marker (bizarre as it may sound, that's how
Word works). If you manage to get this to work, well done (and please let us
know what worked)! But personally, I would try to simplify the whole thing
by breaking it down into several separate merges, each for a different
layout, and each of which only processes its own data. If the merge is going
to be run repeatedly, with any luck a small amount of VBA would be enough to
open each mail merge main document in turn and perform the merge.

Peter Jamieson
"jka319" wrote in message
I have a data file where each record needs to be merged with one of several
different form letters. The letter it should be merged with depends on a
certain field in the data file (in this case, the User_Field_2). I've
accomplished this by using a main letter that is just a series of "if"
statements with "includetext".

Here's one of my "if" statements:
{IF {MERGEFIELD User_Field_2} = "BOSSIER" "{INCLUDETEXT
"C:\\MailMerge\\Bossier Parish DA.RTF"}"}

I have several of these "if" statements, one after the other, for each
possible value of User_Field_2.

When I merge the main letter to a new document, it creates a big document
with the correct letters for each record. Here's the problem: Each of
these
letters has a specific format that it needs to follow, and they all have
different margins. When I merge them all together, they all take on one
set
of margins, which messes up the formatting in some of them.

I've tried setting the margins for each individual "if" statment, but that
creates section breaks between them, which creates 2 other problems: 1.
It
puts a blank page between each letter. 2. It leaves a lot of blank lines
at
the top of some letters (the ones where the "if" statement was farther
down
the page).

Does anyone know of a way to merge different letters into one document,
and
still keep the margins of each individual letter?

Any help will be appreciated.
Jennifer